Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Class problems >

Class problems

Class problems

Old 11-01-2019, 10:01 AM

You will enjoy Bonnie’s class! I am always behind everyone I just enjoy and have a good time! I am slowly working thru the last class quilt at home.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:13 AM

Well, you're ahead of me. I don't even take classes! Some of us just focus better when we work alone. Anyway, you learned what you needed to learn, right? So you have not problem. Just keep doing what you are doing, as it seems to work.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I usually enjoy taking a class, but a teacher took all the joy out it for me. I told her quietly before the class that I was dyslexic and left-handed and might have some problems. She promptly my problem to everyone in the class. I was embarassed and humiliated.
While I'm sorry you were embarrassed and humiliated, I have to play devil's advocate and say it's entirely possible she didn't think that being left-handed and dyslexic were anything to be embarrassed about. I know that I don't!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:40 AM

Love this thread! I've taken classes over the years. I used to go to Paducah for the AQS show. I love taking classes from the absolute best. The Best of Show type of applique ladies. Most of the classes I've taken are applique classes like this. I did take a machine quilting class in Paducah once. The lady went around the room marveling at everyone's progress. Gushing over how wonderful their work was. She got to me and said "Oh, well. Keep practicing." Lol! !!!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

What do you want/expect from a teacher/instructor?

Or don't want?

I expect/hope for the teacher to be prepared and not play favorites. And if someone has "a horrible example" - to not use it!
Old 11-02-2019, 12:11 PM

I want an instructor to know and be able to teach the course. They should also encourage the whole class to improve their current skill set (new skills, techniques, or tips), in a kind and supportive manner.

I also expect all the students (and me), to listen and apply the skills, techniques, tips that are being taught, in a kind and supportive manner.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
For some reason, unknown to me I do not perform well in quilting classes. I sort of ‘freeze’ when beginning a project and I’m always the last one to get anything done.
Yes, I’m usually the least experienced in whatever class it is and that always sets me on edge. Everyone else seems to breeze along with no problems and perfect blocks; I struggle with block construction and use my ripper more than anyone.
The class I just went to was a case in point. All the other students finished 2 or more rows of 10 blocks and I barely finished 1. When I got home, I breezed along and had no problems cutting or piecing the blocks like I did in class.

what is my problem??
this is the reason I don't belong to any guilds etc.
I call it performance anxiety.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:04 AM

Dont compare yourself to others....do the steps 1 by 1 and dont worry about others. Have FUN learning.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:57 AM

I've taken many classes: locally, at quilt shows and 5 day retreats. The first one I wasn't prepared properly and took a new machine. Lesson: get all the supply list, call instructor if necessary. Be very familiar with your machine.

The only other bad experience was a computer class. I really was in over my head. The retreat leaders (not the instructor) encouraged me & helped me personally. (I'd been to this retreat many times and had always excelled.) I've noticed the instructors have never returned to the venue, maybe I wasn't the only one with problems.

There've been instructors I've liked more than others.

Usually I take a look at my mindset. Often I need an attitude adjustment. Then I take what the instructor says and interpret it into my thinking. If I'm having a problem, I'll listen to the class/students talking, then go ask the instructor. I might take a break, get a drink and walk around the room to get a new perspective. Then I try to keep my eyes on my own project. If I compare myself to other I either get a big head or discouraged.

Classes to learn are a process. Get emersed, keep your eyes on your own work, relax and enjoy. The product may or may not be all that importand. I've come home and taken my project apart, not a failure, I just didn't like it. Art is like that, sometimes it just doesn't match my vision. It's not going to Paduka, no one is judging it.

Last edited by petthefabric; 11-04-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:09 PM

I'm one of "those" that catches on super quick and is the first or second one done, even if I haven't prepared everything before hand. I don't however brag about it or make it a race ... I will very willingly help anyone who asks for assistance so the teacher can help out others.

I was in one class and I had already learned the technique, but wanted to see if there was another way of doing it (because we all know there's at least 5 ways to do one thing!). There was another method, I whipped through it and was thrilled with the results. The woman beside me looked at my in awe, and I just laughed and said, hey, we all have strengths and weaknesses - I can fly through this with my eyes closed! Put me in front of a computer and tell me to write code? Not a chance! Ask me to rewire your house? Plumbing? Trust me, there are a ton of things I can't do!

But I will always happily share my ability to learn 3-4 different techniques to do something and help someone overcome whatever "block" they are facing at the time.

I love being able to share what I have learned, and get this huge thrill watching the "light" come on in someone's head when they get it! That makes me happier than you can imagine! I get to share my love of quilting and pass it on to someone who loves it just as much as I do!

Don't beat yourself up ... there is always someone out there that is going to be better at something than you ... let them be ... if you are learning, enjoying learning what you came to learn, and walk away with confidence - you got what you paid for! If there are rude people in the class, simply turn your back on them and look for the positive people! There are lots of them! Always more than the negative!!!! We just tend to be a bit quieter!

But most of all - have fun!