Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Expo class vs LQS class >

Quilting Expo class vs LQS class

Quilting Expo class vs LQS class

Old 12-30-2017, 04:10 PM

Question Quilting Expo class vs LQS class

Hey Y'all!

I want to take a class to better learn how to do ruler work. (Using rulers/templates on my home machine.) A LQS plans to offer a class on this technique in April. Don't know the pricing yet, but they said it Might be a 2 day class. This shop is in about 50 miles away but would be a pleasant, rural drive. The shop is modest sized - so I'm sure the class won't be too big. Hopefully more one-on-one with the instructor?

Then I saw a class listing for the next Original Quilt & Sew Expo in March. That event is about the same distance - but I'll be dealing with Atl traffic there & back. *Yuck* This class is $19 class fee + $22 materials fee + $8 admission. Not sure if there this is just a lecture/demo class or actual hands on - which I want hands-on at a machine.

My question boils down to - has anyone ever taken classes at these Expos? Are they as personal as a LQS type class? Was it a good experience? The advantage of the Expo - all that wonderful shopping/exhibits after the class. But supporting a LQS and having that smaller class seems like a good thing, too. Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Donna Mc

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-30-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 12-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

If this is the class - http://www.sewingexpo.com/Events/Atl...0/Default.aspx - it's only 1.5 hours long, and that's not long enough to learn and practice very much. The class at the LQS sounds much better to me, and then you can go to the Expo just to look around.

Craftsy also has classes on ruler work for DSMs. You might check them out.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:43 PM

I think the LQS shop class sounds better because it is longer. Patsy Thompson is giving a free ruler class on her blog during the month of January https://blog.patsythompsondesigns.co.../archives/8365
Old 12-30-2017, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
I think the LQS shop class sounds better because it is longer. Patsy Thompson is giving a free ruler class on her blog during the month of January https://blog.patsythompsondesigns.co.../archives/8365
Thank you for posting this link. I love messing around with my rulers on my dsm.

osewfast - I did buy a Craftsy class with Amy Johnson on ruler work on a dsm and I found it helpful.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:10 PM

I agree with dunster. An hour and a half isn't long enough to learn that much. Although the class is listed as lecture/demo/hands on, I think it's mostly going to be lecture and demo. An hour and a half doesn't allow for lecture/demo and hands on. I'd go with the LQS
Old 12-31-2017, 10:39 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts & replies. I think I'll do the LQS class....come on April! I can't wait to learn!! =)
Wahoo!

Happy New Year to all!
Donna Mc
Old 12-31-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
Ooo - that looks interesting. Thanks!!!
Donna Mc