Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: do you worry about the size of the quilt compared to the person?

do you worry about the size of the quilt compared to the person?

I have a question that I never really thought about. My nephew is getting married and I am going to make them a double wedding ring quilt. The last one I made for my other nephew - but he's 6 foot. Now this nephew is probably 5'9" and his soon to be wife is barely 5 ft... I am wondering about the quilt size

Do you guys adjust for smaller frame people? I feel silly asking, but I can see where a quilt big enough for a bed can be quite large for a 5 ft girl to have to handle. But then any bed blanket would be right? so I am caught wondering if anyone else worries about this

If the quilt is for a bed, than I make one based on the size of bed. Some people just place the quilt on edge of bed instead of using it for a bedspread. These can be heavy but so are most spreads for queens or kings sized beds. But, I have made oversized lap quilts if it's gifted to a tall person. That's so sweet that you are considering this issue. Definitely not a silly question.

edit to add: you can always use a less heavy batting to lighted the weight of the quilt.
    Last edited by Teen; 12-24-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Most tall people complain the quilts aren't long enough to cover with overhang when relaxing in a recliner or sofa. I don't make bed quilts anymore. The people that have quilts made by me like to change out the bed covers during the year and the quilts end up in the closet for most of the time. I make individual throw size long enough for the person receiving it. These are always being used.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

If it’s a bed quilt I make it according to the size of the bed, if it’s a couch cuddler then I base it on the persons height and build, but I mostly let the pattern dictate the size. If the person is tall then I just make adjustments accordingly, boys in our family run from 6’4 to 6’8 , so I do try to accommodate their height so they can enjoy a quilt too. I also have an aunti who is 5’2, so I have made her throw size vs twin,
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    If making a bed quilt I make it to fit the bed, not the people, but if making a throw I always make them to fit the people they are for. My son who is 6’4” tall really hates little 60”x54” throws.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I am a 5'9" woman. If the tops of my legs are chilly, any lap quilt will do but there is nothing better than sitting in the recliner, quilt all the way up to my neck and long enough to bundle up my feet. My thoughts are length does matter (no snickering allowed) but also, someone living in a cold climate may have need for more of an all over warming up than someone say in south Florida.

Power Poster
    if it' s what i call "couch size", then i would make it long enough to cover a tall person. a short person just would not "fill out the length" of it, but i do not think that would be a problem.

I'm 5 ft. and my husband is 6 ft. 6 inched tall. I make our bed quilts to fit the bed. The size of the mattress plus a 10 inch overhang for each side and a 10 inch overhang at the bottom. [queen size mattress 60X80, so quilts are made 80x90, or somewhere close to that measurement. Depending on the pattern]

Right now I make quilts to donate to kids in foster care, so I make them about 45x60". I hope they cover the kids that get them.

Most of my previous quilts were either for twin or full size. Knees can be drawn up to cover the body.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I don't usually make quilted throws -- everything I've made since I began quilting is a bed-size quilt. I generally make my bed-size quilts fairly large -- I hate quilts that are so small they barely cover the mattress, and provide no drape at all on the sides and at the foot of the bed. Of course, it goes without saying -- that's JMHO! I've certainly not found anyone to whom I've gifted a quilt to complain that the quilt was too large! lol!

Blog Entries
    if the person is nearly or more than 6' tall i make them longer.
    a normal queen size quilt is not long enough for me.
    i have turn it "catty-corner" in order to keep my feet warm.
    annoying.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Blog Entries
    I'm 4'10" . I made myself a lap quilt but it was too small even for me. I didn't like having to put it on the diagonal in order to cover my feet and arms. But it is the perfect size to drape across the back of my love seat.

If I am making a throw quilt I consider the size of the person and adjust the pattern if necessary. But a bed quilt should be made according to the size bed it is to fit on and not the person who sleeps beneath it. Why would a woman who is only 5 foot tall have a problem making a bed? We're taught at an early age how to make a bed, (sometimes making several trips around the bed) and if she would need help with the top spread or quilt once a week I'm sure her husband will be glad to help.
    Last edited by lindaschipper; 12-25-2017 at 05:25 AM.

I would ask the bride to be what her preference is. Maybe she would like just a bed runner or perhaps a quilt the two of them can snuggle under while watching TV. Some people do not like heavy blankets or quilts, unfortunately my husband is one of them.

I also think it should be the size of the bed.
    Lap quilts are useless in our family even though none of us are very tall. We don't like them.

I prefer lap sized quilts because people change bedroom colors and bed size. I like lap quilts that cover toes and shoulders. So height is a question I always ask.

As my quilts are gifts to others, I ask them what they would prefer, a bed quilt or a lap size quilt. One quilt I made for an older person made this decision for me. Though she liked the quilt she preferred a smaller size one so now I ask ahead of time. By the time they get the gifted quilt they have forgotten all about it so its a surprise again. I also ask them their style and colors so I can make it to their taste if possible. I try to make a different pattern for each quilt so it challenges me too. Been making mostly logcabin patterns but have you looked to see just how many logcabin styles there are out there? Its amazing plus changing the colors makes them look different too.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I love this board and everyone's input!

Merry Christmas!

Nearly all of my quilts are the lap size, so I figure that I will cover about half the body. People will use mine while on the couch.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    A few years ago I made NFL throws for my kids and grandkids, most of my kids are around or over 6ft some are shorter. The standard throws are not made for 6ft tall people but I think throws should be for cuddling up under. I made all of my tall kids using 3 yards of fabric instead of the normal 2 yds. They'll probably be snuggling up together so I'd take that into consideration. If its for their bed then I'd find out what size the bed is and then either make a quilt to fit or a topper.
    Judy

I made a lap quilt for my son-in-law who is 7 ft. tall (actually, he's 6'12") . I made it both wider and much longer than the pattern, so it covers his size 20 feet all the way up to his shoulders when he's napping on his recliner. He was so pleased as he'd never had lap quilt that fit him before. Of course, the quilt having fish fabric helped, too.

I have a neighbor who makes all of hers 108 x 108 and they are not tall people... We have a son who is 6'4" and I added another 20 inches on the header of his quilt...California King sized quilt. I usual go 96" by 103 + inches for a queen sized bed. But when they roll over in bed, no one likes the 'cold' air coming in the Northern sections of the country. DH has a twin bed but uses one of my larger queen sized for that reason. Many people like a 'footer' now, just covers where their feet are on the bed. It warms me up, and keeps me cozy all night long. Son wants me to make him another one, he says. So I think I have the size right for him. I do ask the people I am sewing for about the size desired and colors, sometimes the pattern. Only have done one throw, which was well received, but she lays it on her guest bed a lot of the time...down South.

I would make it to fit the husband (if it is a couch quilt). I am 5' and would never complain that a snuggle quilt is too big.