Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Resolutions 2018

Quilting Resolutions 2018

I’ve been doing some sorting and cleaning and have reached a point in my quilting life that I think everyone reaches at one point or another. I will never use all the fabric I have collected. This year, I resolve to whittle down my collection to a manageable pile. I resolve to: move along the half finished projects given to me because “I found this in my Grandma’s closet and thought of you because you sew.” (Grandma didn’t finish it for a reason.) —say no thanks to bags and boxes of scraps from the 80s and 90s. (That’s 30-40 years ago!) —pass on worrying about making things for others. I’ve spent a lot of time on their projects and pushed mine aside. (Lots of times without pay or even thanks.). 2018 is looking up already!

Blog Entries
    sounds like a great plan. sounds like you deserve the changes
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

My guild challenge this year is to finish 6 UFOs. I will retire next week and will have time for this plus all the other quilts in my mind. Hopefully these new ones will use a lot of my stash without having to purchase more than batting. Wish me luck. I sure have a hard time sticking to these plans.
    Happy new year

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    My resolution is to finish 3 UFO’s for each new project begun. Except for the JN celtic solstice, All my UFO’s are at the same stage—sandwich, quilt, bind. Trying to get 5 done by April. Does it count as 2 if I use one top for the backing?
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    I've written down quite a few of my tops/ufo's and am now working on 24 eighteen inch pre printed blocks. will make two lap quilts out of them. feather designs. I've had them for years!! so bit by bit I am getting them sewn. must take breaks and get my heating pad for my neck.

My quilting goal again this year is to finish my UFO's. They are all started, but haven't been completed piecing. None are ready for quilting. I am using the rule that I must finish 3 to start a new quilt. This year I am going to stick to that. Along with that I have to clean up my sewing room. Then I have to find some of the 35+ UFO's that need finishing. I know where about 10 are. The rest are in hiding...completely happy with their unfinished identity. I think I will finish those 10, then go looking for the rest.

Happy New Year!
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I love yearly goals. For every new quilt, I plan to finish 1 UFO. Good enough for now.

Good for you, Ohio...I learned early on to not allow anyone to suck the joy out of sewing. This is MY hobbie....and MY time... My goal is start a Baltimore Album quilt. Pretty adventurous of me but it's on my bucket list and I have the book of the one I want to do. After the New Years, I will buying all the fabric for it and I vow to work on one block a month, if not more....in between my other quilt projects. So, this I vow to be the only project I allow myself a break from.. I dislike UFO's and start and finish a quilt at a time. So this will be a bit challenging to set aside to work on something else. May drive me nuts but we'll see.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

My quilt resolution is to use stash and finish 6 UFO's. That's half of them. My problem with shopping my stash is that I keep buying more as I whittle down my collection. I am also trying to learn to use panels, I have 23 of them laying here waiting.
    So much fabric, so little time.

Blog Entries
    my goal...... clearing out sewing room.... already started........ gotta organize my mess..... quilts I plan to make: Lap size Harley theme quilt for 47 yr old son Robert ....... lap size star wars theme for new step grandson.Jacob 13...... snake theme lap size for ALIYA 8yr old grand daughter....... twin size scrappy for my sister donna....... black and white checked fabric pillows for nephew Aarons car shop.2 needed.......... so I'm tired already..lol.... so here we go.......... keep moving toward new horizons
    Be kind today......

My goal is to organize my quilting/sew stuff. You know, seam rippers, scissors, thread, rulers etc...
    Sounds like small potatoes, but its a bigger deal than I originally thought it should be.
    Mike

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AVFD215 View Post
    My goal is to organize my quilting/sew stuff. You know, seam rippers, scissors, thread, rulers etc...
    Mike
    This is what I'm doing. I've just recently moved into a new larger house. In anticipation of the move I bought a whole bunch of storage and organization things. I've gotten the long arm frame set up, the design wall in place and my embroidery station across the room is about finished. 6 new thread racks on the wall and a set of shelves next to them. My goal now is to get the rest of the room organized, set up and have a place for everything so I can find it at a glance. I'll have 3 or 4 machines set up in here so I've decided that one will be dedicated to UFOs, one will be for piecing a new project and one will be used for garment or bag sewing. That way I can switch up what I'm working on and not get bored. I figure at my pace this room should be finished right about the time I die so one of my girls will have it made.

Cari

I resolve to not worry about unfinished projects. If I want to start something new, I will. I do not know how many years I have left, and when I go someone will pick up the gauntlet.

I also will not feel guilty about buying more batiks. I love them, and when I have the $$ I will get some.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like small potatoes, but its a bigger deal than I originally thought it should be.
    Mike
    I use a cup cake tin, use plastic glasses inserted and you can hold tons of seam rippers/ pens/ other small items and it stays organized!!
    Patski
    always learning

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I use a cup cake tin, use plastic glasses inserted and you can hold tons of seam rippers/ pens/ other small items and it stays organized!!
    That's a great idea!
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

My goal is to sew every day and declutter every day. At least 30 minutes each, at least six days a week. I'm excited to start January 1st. The first sewing will be to finish FMQ two quilts. One isn't going well so I put it aside which won't get it done.

Power Poster
    i may - or may not - finish some things i have started.

i am with boston 1954 - i have other things to feel guilty about than my ufos

i will make a serious effort to avoid acquiring other people's ufos.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have ufos but what I need to really do is declutter my sewing room. Take everything that doesn’t belong in there and move it out! Then I need to go thru all my containers and remove the fat quarters I don’t like and donate them to 2nd hand store. I really need to organize better. And vacuum and dust everything and under everything. Then I’ll want to sew again.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Patski & Cari-in-oly,
    My youngest daughter gave me some 31 containers and a directive that I organize. Have you ever been given an order from a child less than half your age?
    Mike

Blog Entries
    I resolve to make a list of my UFOs and complete (take ready to quilt) two of them. I have the list started and there are 8 on there, plus I found another one today and I know there are 3 or so not on there. The list is scary just by itself.

Marcia

And maybe my kids won't nominate me for the show on Hoarders: Buried Alive.

Ohiobuckeye- I did that this past year and it felt so good! I gave away or sold lots of fabric that I knew I would never use and haven't missed one thing. I now can actually see what I have and am enjoying it!
    My resolution is to get better at FMQ. I've been working on it and finally seeing some improvement. Yay!
    I also want to finish some UFO's of course!
    Happy New Year!!!!!!

Banned
    Patski & Cari-in-oly,
    My youngest daughter gave me some 31 containers and a directive that I organize. Have you ever been given an order from a child less than half your age?
    Mike
    Yes. My oldest likes to think that she can parent me at times. I just remind her that it's my house and I'll do what I want, if she wants to give orders she can go home and do it at her house.

Cari

One quilt guild I belong to has a sale room at our annual quilt show. It's a great way to declutter once a year. I also plan to make a list of my UFOs. I really do want to finish them and I think a list will help. But I've also already signed up for 2 BOMs. And I want to get an appliqué quilt going. !
    Peace

Well, I’ll definitely finish some UFO’s-mainly because I will need the storage containers they are in for the future UFO’s that Are currently covering every inch of horizontal space in my studio

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Oh, so much to do and so little time. That is always where I find myself at the end of a year. Then I make new goals for the next year. I ask myself it I did better last year than the year before. Then, I tell myself that I can do better than that next year. I love what I do in my sewing space and find happiness and joy there. I like to reorganize a few things because they get out of order even though I try to keep things tidy. On January 1, I like to move forward. I am like that with the rest of the house-I want the Christmas stuff gone and 'back to normal'.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast