Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me buy a new sewing  machine. >

Help me buy a new sewing machine.

Help me buy a new sewing machine.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:37 PM

Default Help me buy a new sewing machine.

I'd appreciate your suggestion as to what make, and why. number one I'd like it to be a good quilting machine, but I also want it for everyday use. Thank you sew much!
Old 11-09-2019, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

First and foremost buy it from a reputable dealer...ask questions about where to go for service.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:51 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Sorry, but need more information:

Do you plan to FMQ or quilt with a walking foot? Or to piece the tops and quilt by check? Are you interested in embroidery on your quilt or quilting in the hoop? What size(s) quilts do you plan to do?

Are you also planning on garment sewing? Other home decor quilting?

What stitches do you need on the machine? Straight stitch, yes, but what others? Zig-zag? Buttonhole? Fancy stitches? Stitch out an alphabet for monograms? Read/stitch digitized designs?

Automatic needle threader? Needle up/down? Start/stop button on the machine? Knee lift?

Finally, how much do you want to spend?
Old 11-09-2019, 06:02 PM

This is such a loaded question - a feature that one person loves, another one doesn't. Same thing with brand.
I think the best advice first and foremost is as oksewglad said is to ensure it's a reputable dealer who will provide good service.
Second bit - have your list of "must have features" . If you already have one and are replacing it, what are the wants and dislikes of that particular machine. And the final one I like to throw at the dealer - why should I buy this machine vs any other in the store - what makes it special.
I was recently at a dealer's who has the brand of machine I like. I asked what the differences were between my current model, and the newer version of it. The changes/ new features weren't significant enough for me to want to spend my money.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:28 PM

What's your budget and what are you wanting to make? What do you long for in terms of features? What can you live without? Do you like your current machine brand?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

Do you have a machine already?

If yes, what do you like about it? What do you dislike about it?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

Make out a must have list and how much you can spend. My must haves would be throat space, needle up/down feature, good buttonhole and serpentine stitch, ability to lower feed dogs for FMQ...... if you plan to do ruler work then a ruler foot also. Hard to tell what your level of quilting is at so it is hard to say what you would want.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:13 AM

When you say you’d “like it to be a good quilting machine” do you mean you intend to use it for free motion quilting, or you want a machine you can use for piecing quilt tops together?

We definitely need far more information, like your experience, the features you feel are most important, your intended use, as well as your budget.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:30 AM

We each have a favorite of course. So that is most likely what one would say. We need more information on what you plan to do i.e. Straight sewing, quilting, embroidery etc. Price range would also help. Nothing worse than suggesting machines that are way outside your price range and being disappointed.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

If someone is new to sewing/quilting, and has no experience with sewing machines, it is hard to answer these questions.

When we went to buy a computer, the first thing we were asked was " what do you want to do with it?".

I knew e- mail and the internet, but beyond that, I really had no idea.

The questions are a good starting point.