Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
fish/shellfish allergy??????............BEWARE of sea salt!!!!!! >

fish/shellfish allergy??????............BEWARE of sea salt!!!!!!

fish/shellfish allergy??????............BEWARE of sea salt!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
well ... obviously, daaahlin' ... it's a lobster conceived in a test tube.

or else it's that geek over there in the white coat.

;-)

Originally Posted by trupeach
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Thanks for the warning.

I am alergic to clams, oysters and scallops but not shrimp, labster, crabs or fish. Go figure.
Hey Sewnsewer2,
What is a "labster" exactly? LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I would like to know what a labster is too.

I think it is great that we can all tease each other without someone getting hurt feelings. Well not all of us, some of us don't get hurt feelings others just have poles up their butts.
:thumbup: pretty sharp, Patrice! :thumbup:
Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

For those of you that have been told you are allergic and haven't noticed symptoms...don't chance it.
I have been sick with mine recently and just saw my allergist yesterday.
We had quite a talk about the 'ebb and flow' of symptoms.
The gradual climb, and the "peak"...
You are taking a risk every time you expose yourself to these things.
No more bacon for me, and no "facon" (turkey bacon), either.
(It's not pork, it's the preservatives, for me.) :shock:
I think listing sea salt should come under a food law of some kind!
Don't these label writers know the effects on us 'sensitive' ppl? I mean it can affect everything from itching to...to...
spelling! :lol:
labsters...hee hee hee...conceived in a test tube...arg, arg, arg...oy, it hurts :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-27-2010, 08:19 AM

I have recently discovered I have alot of allergies. One of them is dust- and it was pretty bad. Anyone else allergic to dust? How in teh world can I keep all my stash and be allergic to dust?!?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by quiltermama
I have recently discovered I have alot of allergies. One of them is dust- and it was pretty bad. Anyone else allergic to dust? How in teh world can I keep all my stash and be allergic to dust?!?
I'm allergic to dust. It's my only true allergy, though I have chemical sensitivities to smoke, incense, perfumes, powdered detergents, etc.

Keep your stash in those large Rubbermaid containers. If you prefer to display it on shelves, add glass doors to the fronts of the shelves.

Buy a small air purifier and use it. It makes an absolutely huge difference. And if you must have carpeting or large rugs, keep them vacuumed and clean. Bagless vacuums are not for the likes of us, by the way. You want all that dust sealed inside something when you go to empty it out of the vac.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:54 AM

My older DD deathly, not kidding, allergic to shrimp and drs think iodine in xray contrast scans so we're careful with that. She's so allergic that touching utensils used with shrimp cause an allergic reaction. However, she can and does eat lobster when I have some and she likes some crab and also scallops. She has tons of other allergies like tree, grasses, pollens, mold, furry 4 legged critters but she has built up a tolerance to our furry children. Horses, in particular, bother her. Weird what the body can do.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:22 PM

I was severly allergic to lobster the first time I ever ate it and then allergist discovered it was from extensive kidney xrays with dye. Boo hoo!
Old 01-16-2021, 02:06 PM

Default The missing link...

The missing link to your sea salt/fish allergy is copepods! Tiny, microscopic plankton lurking in tap water AND in concentrated levels in salts derived from the sea!

*I am not a Dr...but my Drs are not clued up on allergies so one of us has to do the research!
Old 01-21-2021, 05:21 AM

I was diagnosed with Alpha Gal about 10 years ago. I cannot eat beef, pork, or any other mammal meat. The reaction takes about 5-6 hours before appearing. I can eat fish (which I don't like )and poultry. Can't afford the $500.00 Epi pen that was prescribed to me. I'm really limited. I would ask for a big slab of Prime Rib rare for my last meal.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:49 PM

Thanks for letting us know. I never had allergies and about 15 yrs ago I reaction from lots of trees and grass. I don't know why all of a sudden.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:33 AM

Anyone who has an adverse reaction to something after eating it should see an allergist asap. I ate clam chowder and my mouth broke out in hives. I went to an allergist, I am not allergic to clams or any other shell fish or seafood. The hives were caused by the acidic reaction to the milk and potatoes. I am not allergic to potatoes or milk either. Food allergies take extensive testing and are done in groups, like nuts, seafood, etc. They can't test for everything all at once because they are giving you tiny pricks of what you might be allergic to and that could be deadly. I was breaking out in hives with many foods, it turns out I am allergic to none of them. It's the chemical reaction to different foods interacting with other foods. My next step was to go to an allergist immunologist, was tested for a bunch of things and basically it's just food intolerance but not allergies and it has to do with the way my immune system works. The answer is don't eat two acidic foods together, and I do carry two Epi pens just in case.