Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Quilt >

Wedding Quilt

Wedding Quilt

Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 PM

Hello All, :-D
Yes, my son is in the military, and I thank God that he has come safely home to us from Afghanistan a few weeks ago.

Well, I might have to toss a coin to decide which quilt lol because I love so many of your ideas, and I have come across this beauty after the Double Irish Chain was suggested...

http://www.westcoastmccsale.org/Double_irish.jpg

I think it's absolutely beautiful. Do you think it would look just as pretty in a dusky pink, a pale pink (maybe floral) and cream on cream? And does anyone know what the Star is called in the centre, or where there may be a pattern for this online?

Also (and here is my dilema) I have been offered the loan of the plastic templates for the Double Wedding Ring Quilt.

:? Which one? I'm wanting to go fabric hunting for it next weekend, so I can dither for a few more days.
Joanne
Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 PM

I agree with what others said. Anything you make ... they will love because you made it.
My suggestion is: IF you find out what their wedding colors are going to be... use those for the quilt.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:26 PM

This is my first time contributing.
Congratulations on your son's engagement. When my sons married three and four years ago, we asked the guests sign and congratulate the couple on 4" quilt squares and I made them into a quilt. I used their wedding colors for the connecting blocks and on one I was able to add scraps from the bride's dress and other items from the wedding. If you are interested I can give you more information and send pix.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 PM

My DD and DSIL had pink and brown in their wedding, so I did an Ohio star quilt for them in all pinks and browns. They loved it!!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by SNUGQUILT
Congratulations! I've made 3 "Lover's Knot" quilts (Eleanor Burns pattern) for my 3 married children. I think it's a great quilt, and not nearly as 'daunting' as the traditional wedding ring quilt?
You're right that is a great pattern. I didn't think about that pattern as a wedding quilt it would be lovely.

this is the pattern: http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3985428
Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Damkina
And does anyone know what the Star is called in the centre, or where there may be a pattern for this online?

Beautiful quilt. It looks like a double Sawtooth star set on point.

you should be able to find that pattern

http://quilting.about.com/od/blockof...k_Patterns.htm

or

http://www.quilterscache.com/
Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 AM

Maybe a dresden plate pattern or grandmothers fan...
Old 02-25-2010, 03:17 PM

Ellanor Burns of Quilt In A Day series has a pattern for this in her "Egg Money Quilts"book.I have been "helping" a coworker straighten out a mess with this pattern and it goes along qiute nicely :thumbup:
Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM

I just came across a pattern called "Wedding March Quilt Block." It's from Comfort Magazine of the early 1900's and is a photocopy. It's made entirely of squares and triangles and would do well in two colors. Each block measures 18 inches square. It's a one-page pattern (as most were in those days) and is skimpy on instructions, but a quilter will be able to follow the block chart. If you will pm me, I will arrange to mail you a copy. Let me be clear. There is absolutely no charge, just thought if you're interested, I can provide you with a copy of an alternate pattern, if you haven't already found one.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM

I made a flip flop quilt with sun tan lotion and backed it with toweling. They got engaged in Maui and loved the quilt.