Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leftover batting >

Leftover batting

Leftover batting

Old 12-09-2019, 08:04 PM

I've been cutting small batting scraps into 2.5 inch strips for jelly roll rugs or into squares to use inside rag quilt blocks.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:22 AM

I piece scraps of batting and then cut into squares for QAYG string blocks using up some of my mountain of scraps. Join with 1" (unfinished) sashing and you have instant charity quilt tops. If you make a couple of these blocks every time you sit down to sew you'll have a 'free' quilt in no time.

The scrappiness can be tamed by using a constant colour on the diagonal (makes a lattice when blocks are joined) or the same colour across two opposite corners (makes diamonds when joined).

If this is not your 'thing', find a group who might like to take this on. Great for a youth group to start sewing.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:57 AM

Thats what I do with mine too.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:19 AM

I haven't seen this suggestion yet. My sister makes "indoor snowballs" out of leftover batting. She saves those long strips you have left after quilting the top and cuts them into strips and rolls them into balls like string. I am not sure how wide she cuts them, something like an inch or inch and a half.

An indoor snowball fight is lots of fun, the more people the merrier. She had guild members bring her their leftover batting and she made three large tubs of snowballs. We have used those for three or four snow ball fights at the end of our December guild meeting and her square dance club enjoys them at their parties also. They are also fun at family gatherings, but I enjoy them most when about 60 quilters are throwing them at each other at the end of the December meeting. . They weigh nothing, don't hurt, and have never even knocked over plastic cups that are sitting on the tables during meetings. They last forever...I think she made them four years ago and we just take the tubs to the December meetings. We all look forward to the snowball fight...

I don't have a picture to share, but they are easy to make. Just for fun, make a few and see what you think. The strips stick to each other, but if one starts unraveling, my sister just calls it a melting snowball and rolls it back on.

My cat has one he enjoys too.

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 12-10-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:25 AM

I took a look at the video and I have to say after watching that it looks much easier than I thought so I'll give that a try. I so much don't like wasting anything. And using them for dusting is a great idea. Batting is always a little "sticky" so I can see why these are good for that. I'll put one in my car as the dash is always very dusty.

Love the snowball fight idea and I know lots of kids who would get a great kick out of that.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:00 PM

I piece batting w/zigzag stitch a it's expensive to buy. for those little bits and pieces - I use them for stuffing neck & Back rest pillows. Also have 2 friends to make dog beds for shelters. So I line my sewing trash cans with upholstery fabric made into pillowcase type tubes and give it to them. But sometimes, there are just "those pieces".. that end up in a landfill somewhere.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-10-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Since I am part of a nonprofit that makes and gives away quilts, there are a lot of batting scraps. We use W&N Soft & Brite. Most of the quilts tat we consider "twin" are between 70" - 82" long. If there is a strip of 8" left after quilting, I keep that and use it in crib quilts. I don't sew it together, just layer it next to each other. The quilts I am quilting are flannel and the batting stays in place. The off cuts on the side are recycled. The Goodwill will take fiber, old clothing, offcuts of batting, even a vellux blanket that my dog shredded one afternoon, and fiber is ground up and used for insulation. We were using it to stuff dog beds but the shelter no longer wants dog beds. They are using a hammock bed instead.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I have to be careful with batting (not leaving it around) My cat Mookie likes to chew on it!! He's my first cat to do this.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:21 PM

I'm in the process of cleaning/reorganzing my sewing room, the batting scraps that are big enough to use, I measured and tied a piece of ribbon to keep it together, along with the size of the piece. There are plenty of pieces that I can use for place mats, table runners, coasters, mug rugs. Anything not big enough for the above, I put in a large bag, and will make pet beds out of them, for our local Humane Society.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:16 PM

I use the smaller pieces to wipe out the lint filter in the dryer (the lint sticks to it), cut 4" squares for DH to cushion the straps of his CPAP mask, and use slightly bigger ones under 4-patches and HSTs to cushion them and level the seam intersections out when trimming to size (so the ruler doesn't rock or wiggle.)

hugs,
charlotte