Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Puckered quilting >

Puckered quilting

Puckered quilting

Old 12-10-2019, 05:42 PM

I take a two or three yard piece of fabric, Fold it and pin the Edges with a couple of safety pins, so the fraying will be in one place and not tangled up. Wash in Hot water, rinse in cold water. Agitate on high. Dry in the dryer. Iron with spray starch. Spray on the back of the material, let it sink into the fabric to eliminate little white specks of starch. When ironing, Do not push hard on the material, it will stretch the fabric. Hope this works for you.
I spray my batting with a little water and throw in the dryer.

Last edited by ThreadHead; 12-10-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:07 PM

if you use a long arm machine for quilting, having the material stretched too tightly can cause the material to wrinkle up once it is taken off. Try to allow the material to lay more naturally and not stretched so much.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:08 PM

Have you ever made a quilt using 100% poly batting? If you have prewashed and preshrunk everything but the batting and you still get puckering, then it seems to me like it might be the batting. If I were you, I would do an experiment and make 2 practice sandwiches using white or light fabric on both sides. I'd prewash to preshrink the fabric and put poly batting in one, and cotton in the other. Quilt and bind, and after that I would carefully draw a 1" grid on it with permanent marker, so I can measure it after. Wash the way you'd normally wash a quilt and remeasure. If only the cotton one has puckers, there's your answer. If both do, inconclusive results, and we need more research.

I have some 1" grid sew in interfacing that might make a useful test subject for this, as I don't think it would shrink at all. I'd be more concerned that it fell apart.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 12-11-2019, 04:50 AM

I usually press my quilts after washing and drying. I think they come out great. Clean and neat
Old 12-11-2019, 08:42 AM

I always use color catchers when I first pre wash my fabrics. Sometimes 2 or 3 depending on how big the load is. And then when the quilt is done and I wash it again, another color catcher just to be sure.

Originally Posted by Mrschris2u View Post
Thank you so much for your quick response. I guess I stated something badly. I do dry the prewashed fabrics in the dryer. I only air dry the quilts after they are finished. I never used hot water to wash because I use a lot of dark and jewel tones fabrics and I aways worried they would run and/or wash out and fade.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:12 AM

Puckers are the result of batting shrinking. Cotton batting shrinks. Poly batting not so much. I actually like the puckers as they give it a cozy, use me to cuddle up with feeling.