Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a new sewing machine! >

I want a new sewing machine!

I want a new sewing machine!

Old 12-18-2019, 03:18 PM

I have always been a Pfaff girl but recently purchased the Crescendo. -what a difference is all I can say. I have been using it daily for 4 months and it is amazing. Yes, the laser light is useful. I have found that I use it for the half square triangles. I no longer have to mark them or any other diagonal lines. Nice for sewing binding strips together. There is a nice variety of stitches for applique too. I have sewn through some pretty thick fabrics with no difficulty. It is so quiet. Have not used the sensor pen yet. I like the manual and got the user guide as a "gift". Both are nice. I don't find the machine to be complicated and the buttons all make sense. the game changer for me was the upgrade that I was given with my machine. I did have to purchase the mulitfunction foot that went with the upgrade but it is wonderful. I touch one area of the foot and the presser foot lowers and it starts to sew. I press another area and presser foot lifts with needle down so I can pivot and I press another area and my threads are cut, needle lifts out of fabric and presser foot raises. That multifunction foot can be easily programed to do several things. Your choice. I really like the auto needle threader. So easy for these older eyes. I agree with others that the dealer is important when making a large purchase like this. My dealer is great but he is a little over a hundred miles away. He can talk me through problems usually but I haven't had any problems or questions with this machine. Lots of feet are available. I can't speak about the Viking Epic other than I have heard several people that are happy with the machine. I think we all have different needs and habits and things we like in a machine and I think some of the best advice given here is to just try using the machines and do things with them that you normally do and one of them will speak to you. Good luck with your choice. And if you have specific questions about the Crescendo I check this board daily and will respond.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-18-2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-18-2019, 06:47 PM

Becky,

Great information about your machine too. That extra manual is so easy to use for techniques. I love it. Did you have an up-grade or an up-date for your machine?

I forgot about bobbin sensor that let's you know the bobbin is running low.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:19 AM

My machine came with the upgrade that added the multifunction foot and some other new stitches. I had to buy the foot separately. When I unboxed the machine I checked to see if I needed to download the update which is free on the web site. I did need that and it was easy to update following instructions. The bobbin sensor is wonderful.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:43 AM

I FMQ my own quilts. I have a Janome 6600 and works well for me. Has a 9" harp space. The one feature I wish I had is a little beep or some warning (bobbin sensor) when my bobbin thread is running low. That way I could stop my quilting at a less conspicuous spot. That way it would be easier to get started quilting again without it showing.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:58 AM

I'm a Janome owner (3) and user and would stick with them...many of the new ones do have the larger throat that is required for free motion. Have you checked out the new Janome's or simply ruled them out? Having never used a Baby Lock or Viking machine there is nothing I can add about them.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:41 AM

I have always had Vikings, until they changed ownership and the service became less than reputable, and more expensive. So I switched over to Baby Lock. I have the Aria which is the step down from the Crescendo. I love it and rarely use my Vikings any more. I am forever amazed at how much less the add-ons are than with the Vikings. I was used to spending way too much for extra feet, etc. My BL dealer is wonderful so no looking back at Vikings.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:37 AM

I have both a Viking (Diamond) and a BabyLock (Solaris). I have had my Viking Diamond many more years than my Babylock Solaris and am more familiar and more comfortable with the Viking. However, hands down, I would choose my Babylock over the Viking. The support and service for the Viking has changed drastically since our Viking dealership closed in our town. Although I am still learning what all my Solaris can do, I have been very pleased with the support I receive from the Babylock dealership (of which is a greater distance away). I hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:24 AM

Thank you everyone for your help. I love this website. I learn a lot from everyone. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-19-2019, 03:56 PM

I have two Vikings...SE emb/sewing machine and Epic Designer emb/sewing machine with 12 inch throat...Love both and recommend highly.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:50 AM
mkc

Olivia65's post above (and 2 other posts) have been reported. Their posts are clickbait spam. Do NOT click on the links in their posts.