Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Questions and Complaints About the New Format Are Collected Here >

Questions and Complaints About the New Format Are Collected Here

Questions and Complaints About the New Format Are Collected Here

Old 12-31-2019, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by LarasAussies View Post
While I can’t speak for quiltingboard, I do work in IT and can guarantee that in over 20 years of supporting systems, no one has ever upgraded/changed a website just “because”. It’s a pain. As Patrice said they had to change the version of VB. Normally this is because the older technology or version is no longer supported by the creator of the technology which means no more security patches and if there are issues they won’t help to resolve them anymore. Newer browser versions such as MS Edge and Chrome May not work with older technology and if you don’t get security updates then the websites are vulnerable to unethical individuals trying to access our information. Upgrades in technology are sometimes painful as the newer version just don’t work the same way anymore. It sounds like there are people working to resolve the issues for things that do not work. I am Sure those people like to get paid and the ads that we despise generate the revenue that pays them. I for one appreciate that they are working over the holidays and that the forums are still alive and free to us. We may just need to be patient while they get through the changes.
Thank you for explaining this in a way that even I can understand. I appreciate that you took the time to do this.

This is not the first time that the QB has undergone changes. And many including myself grumbled and complained. Your explanation was very illuminating.

Where this version is not as user friendly yet, it is somewhere in between what it used to be and what we just had. I do greatly miss the blogs as I went there everyday to chat with a few cyber friends. But, we found a way to continue until we see what happens here. I'm just grateful there is a place I can come to be with like minded quilters. I do have some of the same complaints as other. And, since they have been said over and over, I will keep my negativity to myself and watch to see what changes happen in the coming months.

To all that keep our quiltboard free of charge and free of hatefulness and negativity I thank you for your hard work.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:25 PM

Default Facelift for the Quilting Board

Decided to stroll in tonight and see whats happening on this good New Years Eve.. Wow, I hope I can find everything I like to look at. Love the Resources Part.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:18 AM
Power Poster

​​​​​​I do better when an explanation for why changes are being made - LarasAussies gave a great explanation for why some entitiies change their systems.

Was a notice given? If so, I missed it.

If no notice was given, perhaps for next time - an advisory/warning before the changes start would be helpful.

​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 01-01-2020, 02:32 AM
Power Poster

Will the member list be restored?

With the current format - font being so small and lines being so long - it is
​taking almost more effort to read a post than I am willing to put out.

On the plus side of that - not looking at this forum would be a great time saver for me.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Will the member list be restored?...
The Member List is found in the second menu bar above under the Community drop down menu. It works just fine.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Was a notice given? If so, I missed it.

If no notice was given, perhaps for next time - an advisory/warning before the changes start would be helpful.
​​​​​
it was as much a surprise to me as it was to everybody else.
naturally, i threw a hissy fit, but what's done is done.
i had to "let it go" and get down to the business of adapting and gathering information about things that need to be fixed.

despite some negatives, there's much to be appreciated about the new format if we just take the time to fish around and get over the fact that it's so different.

we can - i think - expect disruptions from time to time going forward as they work their way down the bug-fix list. i have asked that re-creating a color/font scheme that's easier to read be the #1 priority. there's no way they will be able to make everybody happy, but i do expect improvements in the near future.

i think i speak for all of us when i say the i hope it will be a very long time before any future major changes occur. and that we all hope for some warning.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:17 AM

Patrice.. thank you for walking us all through the changes and being our advocate to the development team. I’ve been in your shoes and I do not envy your position. Change is hard! It’s great that the font issue is at the top of the list. Depending on how the site is coded may not be as simple to adjust as we all hope but it’s great to know the team is working it. One suggestion that may help the developers is to follow a 508 compliant color scheme and font size. 508 is a federal government requirement for systems to make them easily accessible for all users. There are many free site checkers that are available to check color contrast, font size etc... that will provide a lot of good feedback to the development team. As my eye doctor likes to remind me, my eyes are not “old” but rather “very experienced” and I see things much differently then I did decades ago. The site checkers help those with less experienced eyes with concrete suggestions to design sites that support everyone.

Lara
Old 01-01-2020, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Thank you, LarasAussies, for that very helpful suggestion. I will definitely pass it on as part of the fix list.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:21 AM

I'm curious as to the reasoning using thumbnail pictures in the posts, rather than the actually on the page. I could understand that it might have been better when using dial-up so that the page would load faster, but to not be able to scroll through the page of pictures and having to open each one - either in a new page or having to click to go back to the 'thread' - doesn't seem user friendly, to me.

Also going back to default of ten posts per page seems going backwards to early days of technology.

Another question I have is will there be a limit to the number of images per post?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I thought the board was down for several days. But today instead of using my bookmark I logged on from a message from the Quiltingboard (which I never do) and I got here.
I can't figure out how to put my Mabel's pic back on my avatar.
Wow, this place is different!