Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wandering Geese Pattern...hints? >

Wandering Geese Pattern...hints?

Wandering Geese Pattern...hints?

Old 01-09-2020, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

Wow! that is a lovely circular quilt!! well, circular design.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I watched the video. It looks like you will lose your points on the sides. She's showing it before it's sewn and it looks like the side edges are flush with the edge before it's sewn.
I usually use simple patterns that do not involve many triangles, so I may be wrong. So, I guess this is a question not a statement.
bkay
No, you do not lose your points when using the Bloc Loc rulers. I've used
it several times and made a ton of FG. No problem.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Watson, I haven't read all the replies but when you get a chance get Deb Tucker's Wings ruler.
I just did a bazillion flying geese for the BH mystery and they came out beautifully with it.

But let me back up:
I forgot I had it so I started making them the traditional way and they were giving me fits. Then
I remembered! It was smooth sailing to make the rest.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:25 PM

Default Flying geese

I made 120 flying geese with the shortcut sheet from kitsbycarla.com I had bought the one shortcut sheet and made several sets to demo to my guild . I love this method if you have to make lots. I needed them for a border.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
This is a picture of Wandering Geese. Notice that the Geese in the border are off-set. A very nice pattern.
I found out that they are called Migrating Geese or Staggered Geese. Omak has a post on here that shows how to do it. You cut two squares of background and one square of "goose" Cut the goose square on the diagonal corner to corner. Sew one triangle to one square RST with a 1/4 inch seam on the two sides that match. Do the same with the other square and trangle. Now cut the resulting piece on the diagonal the other direction, cutting through the triangle. You have four very oddly shaped pieces. Sew them together to get the migrating geese as in the picture. Take one of the pieces apart and sew the small triangle to the bottom and the larger triangle to the top. This gives you an edge you can sew onto something else.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
This is all a matter of terminology. The pattern in the first post is called Wandering Geese. The offset geese are usually called Migrating Geese. But neither term is "right" or "wrong" - just a matter of what you want to call it. I love how this pattern designer called hers a Gaggle of Geese. https://betteroffthread.com/product/...geese-pattern/
I had found my copy of the pattern and found that it was called Migrating or Staggered Geese. The "Gaggle of Geese" are not off-set. They are just in a row.