Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brand new to quilting and I think I screwed up >

Brand new to quilting and I think I screwed up

Brand new to quilting and I think I screwed up

Old 01-28-2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Aescley View Post
Hello folks,

As per the title, I am currently trying to complete my first ever quilting project. I probably set the bar too high to start, as I am making a throw sized quilt, rather than starting with placemats or something.

The issue I had relates to the actual quilting. My machine doesn't have a walking foot (it's an old hand-me-down from my mother) and I at first didn't think that would be too big of an issue if I was careful. Now that I've quilted approximately half of the quilt top, I am wondering if I should rip it all out. The reason is because even though I pinned all the layers together with of safety pins, I seem to have puckers and even a couple areas where the fabric folds over on itself, leaving a permanent wrinkle in the quilt top. The bottom looks fine.

I'm wondering if a more experienced quilter can tell me if I'm right about the problem probably being my lack of walking foot, and if my best course of action is to rip it all out and start over? I've found a fabric store that offers rentals of sewing machines that have walking feet, so I could go there and use their machines for a small hourly fee.

I hope that made sense, and thank everyone in advance for any advice! I'm hopefully going to have this done well enough to be a christmas present, fingers crossed...

Think of it as a learning episode. You are learning your hand/eye skills, your machine capabilities, and many other little lessons that all quilters learn.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-28-2020 at 10:13 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-29-2020, 06:21 AM

Welcome to an amazing site for encouragement and advice. I have learned so much in the few months that I have been a member.
I just had to chime in because your first quilt reminds me of my first quilt. I, too, cut each square with scissors.
I just purchased a generic walking foot on Amazon for about $12 that fit my 40 year old Bernina after I learned about its purpose on this site. Quilted my first walking foot quilt (I just stitch in the ditches....for now) and it glided across the quilt like butter! Can't believe it has been available all this time.
i use 100s of large safety pins to hold the layers together by starting in the middle and smoothing the layers out from the center. Just learned about basting spray myself, and I purchased a spray can for my next quilt.
When I quilted with the regular seam-stitching presser foot, I would "look ahead" to the next pinned area to look for overlaps. I would distribute the extra fabric in little bitty tucks rather than one noticeable one.
Didn't have that problem with the new walking foot. It made quilting sooo much easier.
Good luck with your new skills!
Old 01-31-2020, 09:34 PM

We all have a quilt like that!😁 I'd buy a walking foot, 2 if I'm quilting a quilt I use elmers glue. No pins needed. Then I've used painters tape to make lines ,grids and followed that to learn. Good luck keep trying!!
Old 02-01-2020, 05:00 AM

Default take classes

does your local area have a Quilt Shop w/classes. If not I learned allot from buying classes online via "Craftsy now Blueprint" but will redirect if you go in with Craftsy.com
Alsi Iquilt.com has many beginner classes...joint their site (free) and they will send you emails when classes go on sale.
I buy individual classes and did not join at a yearly cost on Blueprint.
Once you buy a class it's there forever for you to watch and learn and sew along whenever you want. The teachers also answer questions you might have re: the class.