Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for permission to press my seams open >

Looking for permission to press my seams open

Looking for permission to press my seams open

Old 02-19-2020, 09:11 AM

There are ways to help the trimming down, I use tape on my rulers a lot to mark my lines. For one I have vision issues and have a hard time reading the rulers anyway, much less when they are down on the fabric. For two, it keeps me consistent. And three, it speeds up the process!

I showed one of my "specialty" rulers in this thread:
half sq triangles

I was trimming down HST, the tape is at the width of the final square (2.5") and I would have the diagonal line on the diagonal of the block. When you are trimming squares you should be able to position your ruler and do the side and top or bottom cut with one position, flip the block and check/trim the other side -- then you put it in the done pile and go on to the next.

Some things are a lot trickier to do the cutting large method, but I use it for Flying Geese units too, I make the large triangle the size noted, but I make the two little triangles larger.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:18 AM

Whatever works for you would be the best and that you are comfortable with how you press your seams. I watched a video on Lori Holt and she pressed all of her seams open.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by MeadowMist View Post
Kind of joking, because I know I don't really need permission and I can do what I want, . As part of my current project I have to pair up and sew together about 2000 1.5" squares
I'm wanting to see what your making with all them wee squares. And my next thought was are they all variety? scrappy? Love me some scrappy quilts.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by WendyMcD View Post
I'm wanting to see what your making with all them wee squares. And my next thought was are they all variety? scrappy? Love me some scrappy quilts.
Wendy - the pattern is a scrappy Jacob's Ladder quilt which I saw in the December 2019 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine. https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/magaz...9-940a451c1dd0

I'm using up a good many of the fat quarters I've accumulated over the past few years as well as some other leftover pieces. So far I'm still cutting out those wee little pieces.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:35 AM

Go for it! Your longarm quilter will thank you.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:56 AM

Your quilt your way. Sometimes it just makes sense to press open. Instead of cutting 2000 1.5 inch squares, can you do strip sets and cut them 1.5 inches? That way you would have them paired already.