Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help identifying Sears Minnesota treadle sewing machine >

Need help identifying Sears Minnesota treadle sewing machine

Need help identifying Sears Minnesota treadle sewing machine

Old 06-29-2016, 02:20 PM

Ahhh ok, I wasn't sure. I should have been more specific, diameter was what I was referring to in my post. Funny enough, the woman I bought it from said, "Oh yeah, my Aunt even bought a new belt for it." She then proceeded to reach into one of the drawers and pulled out a pair of 72" leather boot laces....Who said Necessity wasn't the Mother of invention, huh?
Old 05-01-2020, 04:08 AM

I have recently acquired a Minnesota A. I am hoping to find a few missing parts and get it running. Does anyone know of a parts shop or reproduction manufacturer that deals in Minnesota A machines? It uses shuttles and the serial number is: D3615397.
Thank you in advance. 💜
Kathleen

Last edited by Spearfish; 05-01-2020 at 04:09 AM. Reason: To remove title and add my name.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:01 AM

Davis made New Minnesota A model A10 made in 1910. Lots of these were made so parts should not be difficult. Uses regular 15x1 needles. Davis made these for Sears mail order catalog.

Jon
Old 08-20-2020, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi,

You have an early Davis Minnesota A before they put the A in Minnesota. This is a Davis Model E, Underfeed. Davis was located in Dayton, Ohio at this time and this machine was made for Sears mail order. The A was the top of the line Sears model and would have sold for roughly $18.

Davis needles, bobbins, and shuttles are unique to Davis. The original needles were called Davis long. One popular needle brand name was "Boye" with the number 10 on the cap. The needles are close to 2" long with a flat on one side. Always best to verify dimensions on Boye tubes as sometimes the contents get mixed up. Ebay is a good place to find them.

The serial number 973011 dates to late 1901 or early 1902. Davis dating records do not exist and this estimate is from original warranty certificates. Davis started making machines for Sears right around 1900 and on a much more limited scale until the late Teens or early Twenties. Davis went belly up in 1924 due to bankruptcy.

Link to similar owners manual:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...f/sil10-37.pdf

Enjoy, you have a great piece of family history.

Jon
hello jlhmnj, I have a question about a Davis sewing trendle that I have: mine is called "Unique" and I purchased it about 20 years ago in an antique shop......it works fine, I had to get a new leather cable and that is it!!! I would like to know about the shuttle: is it a universal shuttle and bobbin for all the Davis machines, or does the Unique machine need a particular shuttle and bobbin???
do you know what year this machine was made and any particulars about it???
thanks, MeMawMaw
Old 08-20-2020, 05:52 PM

MeMawMaw,

I have little information on Unique. It was a popular brand name for Davis. Based on the serial number I received earlier I believe it to be a Davis model H made sometime around 1905. A photo would be good to double check. Davis used 2 different shuttles and bobbins for their Underfeed models (Unique). The one is full sized and the other is 3/4 sized. Unique is full sized so the shuttle and bobbin are larger. The full and 3/4 sized bobbins and shuttles will not interchange.

Jon
Old 09-02-2020, 09:34 AM

Default Where to find serial number information on Minnesota A

I have looked everywhere to find a list or database like the Singer database that tells you when a machine was made, etc. Any idea on my next step? I have a Minnesota Model A with a serial number of D 226 2712. Does the D indicate a Davis- made machine? It has the thread spindle in the middle of the arm... something I've not seen before.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynTemple View Post
I have looked everywhere to find a list or database like the Singer database that tells you when a machine was made, etc. Any idea on my next step? I have a Minnesota Model A with a serial number of D 226 2712. Does the D indicate a Davis- made machine? It has the thread spindle in the middle of the arm... something I've not seen before.
Picture, please!? There were several different versions called "Minnesota A" including was a Minnesota A without an A.

According to http://ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

"For instance, there were five major versions of the Minnesota Model A" (emphasis by me)

Additionally, from my understanding there weren't any company records like Singer had during that time. There are some that have studied and collected info (Bill of Sale or advertisements) about some of them so that they can give an approximate time frame.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button works to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 09-02-2020, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Picture, please!? There were several different versions called "Minnesota A" including was a Minnesota A without an A.

According to http://ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

"For instance, there were five major versions of the Minnesota Model A" (emphasis by me)

Additionally, from my understanding there weren't any company records like Singer had during that time. There are some that have studied and collected info (Bill of Sale or advertisements) about some of them so that they can give an approximate time frame.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button works to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
I can not find a big red reply button. I've had to resize my photos and only have a phone so it's taken me a bit to figure it out. My apologies. It is rather rusted and I'm still working on loosening screws, etc., but I did get the needle out. It's a Davis 10- 30-80. It came with several attachments, manual, and a wooden tube of Boye needles.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20200902_173042.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	627568   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200902_172554.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	627569  
Old 09-02-2020, 06:53 PM

That is a beautiful parlor cabinet. I'm glad you able to post pictures from your phone.

I guess I need to rephrase my notes on how to post pictures.. The big red "Reply" button is if you want to reply and post pictures, if you do not "Quote." There is a Quick Reply, like I'm doing now. I don't have the "paper clip icon" to post pictures.

I'm guessing that your machine is close to the same time frame as the opening poster on this thread, maybe between 1907 and 1910. The biggest difference that I can see is that the tension does not have the spoon shaped tension release. It appears from the numbers you gave that you have the correct needles for your machine..

Old 09-03-2020, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
That is a beautiful parlor cabinet. I'm glad you able to post pictures from your phone.

I guess I need to rephrase my notes on how to post pictures.. The big red "Reply" button is if you want to reply and post pictures, if you do not "Quote." There is a Quick Reply, like I'm doing now. I don't have the "paper clip icon" to post pictures.

I'm guessing that your machine is close to the same time frame as the opening poster on this thread, maybe between 1907 and 1910. The biggest difference that I can see is that the tension does not have the spoon shaped tension release. It appears from the numbers you gave that you have the correct needles for your machine..

Thank you. The thread tension is different than my other machines. It has fewer parts so I'm hoping it's actually all there. I've included photos. At the time of this photo, the second disc was still stuck to the machine. 6 hours of waiting and oiling before it released. Although everything internally sends to move smoothly, none of the dials/ knobs/ screws do. I still haven't found the seam between the face plate and the head. I know it's there because the manual tells how to remove it and oil.

While I wait for things to release, I'm going to be looking for more needles. These things are huge!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20200903_052145.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	627573   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200903_051847.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1,017.8 KB
ID:	627574