Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
W&N Soft & Bright vs Hobbs Thermore? >

W&N Soft & Bright vs Hobbs Thermore?

W&N Soft & Bright vs Hobbs Thermore?

Old 06-01-2020, 08:12 AM

Default W&N Soft & Bright vs Hobbs Thermore?

have any of you used both Hobbs Thermore poly batt and Warm & Natural Soft & Bright Needled poly Batting?
Can you compare the two for me?

I love the lightness and thinness of the Hobbs, but it only comes packaged in 90X108 and I've been making my quilts longer than that and of course long arm quilters need some excess. The Soft and Bright can be bought by the yard but I'm a bit loath to try something new .
I make double sided quilts with tons of small pieces so they are fairly heavy to begin with, I don't want to add any more weight than I have to. And I like poly because it doesn't shrink up and result in a quilt that is much smaller than I intended.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:37 AM

I have used Hobbs polydown in some Bonnie Hunter quilts.....does have some loft to it but is light weight and if you are planning on quilting it fairly dense, it will quilt down quite a bit....
Old 06-03-2020, 03:17 AM

I have used the Soft & Bright for years and I love it! I buy the queen rolls at Walmart online usually and it's perfect cause my quilts are all sizes. It's very lightweight and quilts up quite nicely, it also dries quickly in the dryer. I've used some kind of Hobbs poly but that was over a decade ago.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:10 AM

I soft and bright...also buy on line by the roll at Walmart...washes well, quilts great...and I know the roll will be consistent!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-03-2020 at 05:17 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-03-2020, 11:31 AM

I ordered a bolt or roll of the soft and bright. A first, as I’ve been quilting since dirt was new but there is a first for everything. Thank you for your responses

Old 06-03-2020, 01:27 PM

I have used any number of different bats. Hobbs is a very good batting but I always come back to W&N it is a good all around batting. You always get what you expect with W&N and I buy it by the yard or bolt.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:41 AM

thank you Julia, over the years I've used everything on the market, but this query was about specific poly batt. I know there are lots of good brands, we are very fortunate needlepuch and scrim has been added to make them user friendly. I have one batting in my cupboard that actually says on the packaging 1/4" to 1/2" distance Like that is going to happen these days, but it will be fine for a regular quilted wall quilt that will never be washed.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:10 AM

While we are talking batting, I'd like to ask Juliasb what batting she used in her grandmother's flower garden quilt. I've just finished one and find it very heavy. (approximately 60X80) I added batting and backing and it weighed a ton. I took the layers apart and there it sits. I can't find batting light enough. Any suggestion would be welcomed.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:57 PM

Sharyn, can you call the company and see if they'll send you a free sample?
I contacted Quilter's Dream on FB and asked if they had a sample book I could purchase, I was interested in the different weights of their batting. They sent me a sample book for free.

Just Janet - would you consider quilting your GFG to something like fleece and not using a backing at all? Or maybe flannel (although I find some flannel to be on the heavy side). Maybe audition the top with fleece and see if it's too heavy before quilting it.