Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 06-30-2020, 07:19 AM

My grandad (before I was born) was changing light bulbs in a high school gym, slipped off a catwalk and fell to his death right before a basketball game. 60+ years later my sis was telling the story to a friend. The friend startled. She had seen it happen
Old 07-01-2020, 09:18 AM

Whew... I finally got to the end! This has all been so interesting and I loved reading about it all. Not very many stories that I remember from my parents. My moms parents were both from Holland, came over at a very young age. Dad's mom was German, his dad was English. They divorced when he was very young. His dad owned a bar in Detroit during prohibition and I have copies of pics that have dead people laying on the floor there. Wish I knew the story. Have also been told he was somehow related to Governor Bradford.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:09 PM

Cashs_mom, My paternal Grandmother side came from Pennsylvania in the 1800's also, but landed in Crete, Nebraska.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:27 AM

Great Grandmother was expecting baby #8 when her husband died. Her oldest was 18. Kept her family together & raised 2 other children who had no one. I wish I could’ve known her.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:17 AM
Banned

My mother was the third child of six children. When she was born she is what
they called a "blue baby". Her parents were told that she wouldn't live to become
teenager.
When she was about in first grade there was an accident on the farm and my mom
ended up with a bull horn that impaled her temple and came out in the hairline of
her forehead.She lived to be 84 years old.

My mother was only 4'6" tall.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:28 AM

My father's family started here in the New World by coming here with William Penn and settled near Philadelphia. He is buried at Christ Church. His family started out as Quakers, then a few brothers met some Southern women and became Babtist, the Quakers disowned them. They stayed there until the Civil War and they moved to Texas and joined the Texan war with the Spanish and That's where they stayed, some are still in Texas. My mother's family came from Wales in the early 1800's and migrated to Oklahoma during the land rush. My great-grandmother liked to tell us about her trip in a wagon train and the story about the family gold buried in Wales. In the 1960s my grandmother got a letter from England about the property there and would we like to reclaim it. She turned them down. I always wondered what it looked like.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:46 PM

My mother was so annoyed that her ancesters came over on the ...ship and she couldn't join the Mayflower descendants. And then they were preachers and didn't join the army so she couldn't join the DAR == Boo Hoo I am proud of all the other German and Greeks who came over and made a good life and are part of my heritage.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-05-2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps