Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore? >

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Old 12-18-2019, 06:20 AM

I love to do hand embroidery. Like some of you-I work on hand work while watching TV.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I enjoy having something to pick up while watching tv. I bought one of those magnifying lights that makes it easier to see in the dark room. Currently I have tea towels and pillow cases I have been working on. My favorites? The fruits with arms and legs pattern I found on ebay. So fun to do. The towels are bordered with three colors and I sew on a coordinating cotton band at the bottom to dress them up a little more.
I just bought some rick rack to play with on the towels. You know like the fifties towels? So far I have done five sets.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:44 AM

I have cross stitched for many years and I'm now just learning blackwork. It is not dying out, but as most anything else that is homemade, a lot less people do it.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:58 AM

I don't do as much as I us to do. I have a cedar chest that has some pieces I did as a someday hope chest for my 2 grand daughters and I have done a few table runners that are embroidered and have a small decorative row of crocheted design for the outer edges. I wanted to hand embroider thees so they would have a quickly being forgotten art form. They know nothing about these cedar chest that are being slowly filled with treasures just for them. Of course I hope someday to be able to present them as wedding gifts. Of course each will have a quilt too.
My first 'sewing' act was to embroider an American Flag. I did cross stitch, blanket stitch, a running stitch,satin stitch and french knots. I still have it here somewhere. I was somewhere around 5 years old. My mother started us sewing very young.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Just wondered if anyone does embroidery by hand. I learned to do crewel work in 1974 and went on to doing embroidery stitches and taught it in homeparties for awhile. It seems like everyone does the machine variety now and I wondered if the art of hand embroidery was dying down if not out.
I don't do alot of it but when i need it I do use some of it in my projects.
I like to draw my own designs but they are more old fashioned than most of what you see today.
Anyone else still doing it by hand?
I've done embroidery on my quilt labels. For instance, I just made a pineapple block quilt and the label has a pineapple on it along with my daughter's name and signed by me (all embroidered), oh and the date, of course. Also on a quilt for my grand baby, I added a heart hand embroidered, with my grandbabies' name.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

This is a very old thread that gets resurrected every once in a while.

I love the look of hand embroidery. Machine emb. can't begin to compare! I have a set of vintage quilt blocks in progress. It's the same set our aunt made for my sister's quilt, over 50 years ago! It has state birds and flowers in each block. I need to pull it back out and work on some blocks.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:08 AM

I used to hand embroider a lot and gave away many pieces and I have also have several that are framed and hanging on my wall. Most are cross stich but I have also done other types. I don't do any now but I have a friend who does lovely embroidery on quilts, wall hangings, and table toppers. She gave me a Cancer quilt she pieced together for me and hand embroidered words like hope, friends, family, faith. The hand work is really special and I am using that quilt on my bed right now. I agree that the hand embroidery has a special charm that machine embroidery just doesn't have. I actually find the hand work very calming and am currently knitting dishrags in the evening. It is nice to be without the noise of a machine sometimes.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:41 AM

I love hand embroidery - particularly redwork. I have a high end machine embroidery machine that I almost never use. Not a fan of machine embroidery - not sure why I bought machine. Handwork is relaxing to me.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:10 AM

I love to hand embroider, it's so relaxing. Most recently I've been doing towels.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:03 PM

Absolutely yes, still embroidery by hand and even taught some stitches to my little sister. But, should any of my nieces or great nieces want to learn, I'll be quick to dig everything out and get them started.

My truest favorite is cross-stitch, I have a couple of samplers that I would like to do eventually, one is the Rainbow Bridge sampler that I would like to do some quilting around to make it into a wall hanging.

I don't quite trust the embroidery machines, maybe it's because they're so computerized now and I wouldn't want something to happen to the machine and I'd have to take it in to get fixed. I also think it takes away from something that's truly been handmade.