Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What happens when a circuit board (motherboard?) "goes bad" or fails? >

What happens when a circuit board (motherboard?) "goes bad" or fails?

What happens when a circuit board (motherboard?) "goes bad" or fails?

Old 05-29-2018, 09:42 AM

In my machine, some stitches would only sew in reverse for several weeks. Then all of them either didn't sew or only sewed in reverse.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:06 PM

The first machine I ever bought after leaving home was a Singer (I forget the model #) in 1964. Anyway, my DD has it in her closet & if anything ever goes crazy with my Janome Magnolia 7330, I will have a back up to go to. I also have a Singer 2010 Touchtronic & don't think it is computerized so could use it also.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:01 AM

Hi, this is my first post on these boards. I have a Pfaff 1471 bought around 30 years ago. I love that machine! It suddenly quit working and I believe it is the mother board finally giving up. There is a shop in Penn, https://brubakerssewing.com/. The owners specialize in repairing old Pfaffs. You might want to give them a try. I have no connections to this shop, just passing the word.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:48 PM

Default schematics

Originally Posted by Mimiqwerty View Post
About 5 years ago, when the motherboard went on the fritz on my beloved Pfaff1475, my DH found a guy online who was selling a DVD of the electronic schematics of the Pfaff 1475 for a reasonable price. I think there were other Pfaff models on the DVD, too. We took a chance and ordered it. My electrical engineer DH was able to repair the board--but it took three tries to get all the buttons, stitches, and gizmos to work correctly. What I'm saying is, check online to see if someone has electrical/electronic schematics for your machine.
ematics

I see this is an old thread but I was hoping I can get some info from you. I have a 1471 that the circuit board needs
repair. Any chance you have the info on those schematics? I have been unsuccessful finding them.
MrsD
Old 08-16-2020, 08:13 AM

When my Pfaff 7570 motherboard dies it will be used for parts, there are no more being made for that model, so I have been told. Boo Hoo.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

For some of us - we are willing to pay (up to a point) to have our old tried and true machines repaired. We do not want/need a "new/improved/fancier/more expensive" machine.

So - instead of spending the money to get that old favorite fixed - I just walk away from the store and don't look back.

(Sort of like keeping the same man I married years ago - I want him to stay functioning as long as possible - and I am not interested in replacing him.)

For the more expensive machines - I want something that will be repairable - not "disposable".
Old 08-16-2020, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
When my Pfaff 7570 motherboard dies it will be used for parts, there are no more being made for that model, so I have been told. Boo Hoo.
the 7570 was my dream machine, I waited years to get it, but then did not use it for better than a tear, why? what if some went wrong with it then would no longer have my dream machine, So I got a backup, then 2 more back ups for it ended up with 4 Pfaff 7570! so now I use them all so far so good, also use my singer 221s for piecing. I really love the stiches on the 7570,
Old 08-16-2020, 10:03 AM

When I heard a repair price of $1K for a friend;s sewing machine mother board, I had to think of how many pre plastic machines I could buy for that..
Old 08-17-2020, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
For the more expensive machines - I want something that will be repairable - not "disposable".
Everything is like that. Your washing machine has a "mother board" as does your kitchen range, your dishwasher, your computer, your printer, etc. We are living in a disposable society. We generate mountains of trash daily (a lot of which is toxic), most of which is too expensive to recycle. Much of this trash is generated by a society that wants to reduce labor costs. So that we can use unskilled labor to stock our grocery stores, everything is prepackaged. Clothing comes already on hangers so no one has to do that job, but the hangers are too flimsy to really re-use as a hanger at home, and sending them back to the clothing manufacturer costs too much, so they go in the trash. In a large part of the world, trash goes in the ocean. This "just trash it" mentality is a huge problem. Sewing machines are just a small part.

(I'll get off my soapbox now.)

bkay
Old 08-17-2020, 06:21 AM

bkay, I was shocked to find a circuit board in a cheap little paper cutter. All it needs is an on/off and reverse switch. Of course, it was dead and I had to break it to open it. Grrr.