Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New Royal Treadle Sewing Machine >

New Royal Treadle Sewing Machine

New Royal Treadle Sewing Machine

Old 07-21-2020, 06:03 PM

Hello. I just received a Improved New Royal Machine (pre-1920's) treadle.
I don't know a thing about it and was wondering if you might teach someone in Hermiston what you know about your machine?
I have much clean up to do on it and I am looking for a case too.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:27 PM

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "reply" button works to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.

Additionally, when I have tried to "insert" pictures, it will take a while even if it is just one picture, after clicking on the paperclip icon. (This is after you have hit the "Upload" button and closed that window.) You will see the "busy" icon at the top of the page or tab spinning for a while before it list the pictures that it will attach.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 07-21-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:11 AM

Cathy, I’ve been going through the older questions trying to find the one about the New Royal Treadle machine and found this one. I was given a New Royal A with Illinois Sewing Machine Co on the top of the arm. Can you locate the manual you thought you had, and if you would be so kind as to email me a copy? I’m very lucky in that except for some decal loss on the bed the machine seems to be in good shape and moving.
[email protected]
Old 03-02-2022, 11:42 PM

@ladydukes Not super hopeful of a reply as this forum is quite old, but I just acquired an almost identical New Royal machine cabinet. However, the previous owner did not have a key and I’m trying to figure out what kind of key might open these— is there any chance you would be able to send a picture if you still have the original cabinet key?
Old 03-03-2022, 05:31 AM

Welcome to QB, Had_Solo. There were several types of keys for antique and vintage sewing machines. In addition to my post at Eldridge two Spool machine by National bought, if you can tell what shape it is, there are triangular and square screwdriver bits in a variety of size that you can try. Frequently there are sewing machine keys on ebay.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:57 AM

If Cathy found it and scanned it, it will be at SteveH's site.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:43 PM

@OurWorkbench I’ll check out that thread, thanks! I can tell the key for the cabinet is definitely not a classic sewing machine key— so I’m looking more at furniture keys (barrel key specifically) at this point I’m kinda trying to determine length/cut of the end piece of the key!
Old 12-08-2022, 01:59 PM

Default New Royal manual

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
From Sewmuse -

Royal was in business 1884 to 1890
Became Illinois Sewing Machine Co in 1895
became a subsidiary of Free 1898- 1924

I'm almost positive I have a manual for this - and once the building is done DH is going to start scanning the manual collection. Plan on posting them on SteveH's site, and he believes they should be available for free downloads.
I am looking for a manual for the New Royal sewing machine vintage 1897