Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big Stitch Quilting >

Big Stitch Quilting

Big Stitch Quilting

Old 08-23-2020, 09:36 AM

Would it be okay to do some big stitch quilting with long arm quilting thread? I have some of the wax that I could use to cut down on the knots. To clarify, my stitches are probably about 1/8” so not huge but would still be considered big. Why? Because after basting my appliqué squares, I realized that I like hand work and it is very relaxing and I could essentially be doing basting stitches on a quilt. I don’t even know if I will ever get this crib sized one done but I will enjoy doing it. It is a panel that I can easily follow lines on.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Quilting thread may make the stitches look like a running stitch instead of a big stitch.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:02 PM

I mostly use Perle 8 but have also used a size 12 thread, which is a slightly thinner strand than the Perle 8. Both work well.

Big stitch is my favorite quilting method. Although I started quilting 30 years ago, I've never been able to master the rocking method, but big stitch is the perfect technique for the stab stitcher that I am. Years ago a quilt shop saleslady told me my quilt would look terrible with big stitches in a contrasting thread color. Apparently she wasn't familiar with the style and couldn't conceive of it being a valid method of quilting. I've always loved the ease of it and the character it adds. It's been really nice to see it gain in popularity in recent years. Jen Kingwell and Sarah Fielke are well respected quilters and have done a lot to bring the big stitch method into the public eye.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:31 AM

I finished my big stitch quilting on my Inman Garden quilt for my DGD and I am very pleased with the results. I think this will be my go to quilting in the future. It is so relaxing to sit and quilt during the evenings.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

This is the only quilt I ever did with "big stitch" quilting. It was fun because you could hold the pinned sandwich in your lap, without a hoop, as you quilted it. You can probably only see the zig zag around the border, but it was everywhere. It's all big stitch.

This whole quilt, including the embroidery of every block, was entirely done by hand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2454.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	627836  
Old 09-14-2020, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Big stitch is just perfect for your 30's repro, SBG! The thread that was used in the seams of the original feed sacks was more like cord string or perle cotton and was chain stitched.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:52 AM

Am glad to know Big Stitch is coming back with a bang. It's perfect for those of us who have arthritis in our hands. I say "Go Big Stitch"!