Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Speed >

Machine Speed

Machine Speed

Old 09-06-2020, 09:27 PM

I've only ever run mine at full tilt when servicing. On projects likes of gowns with long seams, etc then i'd say about ¾ speed maximum (about 800 rpm) which is plenty fast enough for myself. But for most jobs, the speed is much much slower for accuracy
Old 09-07-2020, 04:10 AM

I have an Elna eXcellence 760 and I have a tendency to sew too fast when in a hurry to finish a project. I just got it back from the sewing repair shop 4 days ago. An $89.00 repair that has taught me to slow down as I sure don't want to go through that again. The thread had somehow hooked around a large screw on the bar that runs up and down while sewing and that screw was jammed tight full of thread. The repair man advised me that slowing my speed would save me that kind of cleanup again. I was very lucky it was not worse! My most expensive machine and will definitely take better care in my use of it.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:22 AM

I'd rather sew slower and get it right the first time. I usually sew at half speed, but sometimes even less.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:08 AM

This is interesting...not one person mentioned that if they sewed too fast, the stitch length shortened. That was a problem I was having with my Husqvarna and I could not figure out what to do to correct it...drove me crazy. Then I acquired a Bernina 1008 and I couldn't believe how fast I could sew and the stitch length stayed exactly where I set It! I sold the Husqvarna with all the fancy stitches and computerized readout and now I use the old Bernina mechanical machine and love it!
Old 09-19-2020, 11:30 AM

I go top speed when bobbin winding, that's it. Otherwise I'd estimate I'm at half to three quarter speed, or slower if I feel it's required.

I did once have a complaint that I was irritating someone else (a quilter) in the room by sewing too slowly. I wasn't going particularly slowly, and wasn't going at a noticeably different speed from others in the room, but for some reason I was picked out to be complained about. I've always thought that was odd, and said so at the time, lol.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
I did once have a complaint that I was irritating someone else (a quilter) in the room by sewing too slowly. I wasn't going particularly slowly, and wasn't going at a noticeably different speed from others in the room, but for some reason I was picked out to be complained about. I've always thought that was odd, and said so at the time, lol.
I find that odd, too!
The only time I've been irritated by another person's machine was at a retreat when another quilter was doing satin-stitched applique. She had the pedal to the medal but because it was satin stitch, it was slow going. Her machine was really loud, so loud that you couldn't chit chat with your neighbor. We all tolerated it for an hour or so (without compaint!), then we decided to go get coffee and go shop-hopping, and she stayed behind to finish her satin stitching. 😁
Old 09-19-2020, 12:07 PM

I have to take my time. I've always been that way.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I'm a speed sewer. I get impatient with slower speeds. My speed setting is set to "rabbit" permanently (It's a Juki so the settings are between a rabbit and a turtle, LOL!) You can totally sew accurately at high speeds. Hold the fabrics above and below and just GO from point to point. You will get a straighter, nicer line than if you were plodding along. Love the high speed for sashings and borders, but really I use it for anything.

On my longarm, I sew at 85% to 90% of the max. Gotta get those puppies done!
Old 09-19-2020, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I certainly hope I'm not ruining my machine by going slowly! There is nothing in the manual that warns about going slowly.
Probably not... don't worry.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
most videos look faster than it actually is because of camera speed.
One shop owner that I watch on YouTube frequently tells viewers how she "has to" race her machine at full speed like it's a contest to see who can sew the fastest. I'm with many others of you-I sew at medium speed as it is as fast as I can control and still be accurate. I don't think it should be a contest, it should be about control and accuracy.