Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
best LED color temperature for sewing? >

best LED color temperature for sewing?

best LED color temperature for sewing?

Old 10-02-2020, 03:39 PM

Just a few more cents worth. Remember the mini light booths in box stores for picking paint chips? They would usually have three different colour temps (in those days fluorescent). The idea being to put your paint samples under the light that would be in use in the room the paint was destined for so that you could see what it would look like in that light.

I would think most (Not all) quilts are going in bedrooms and living rooms and family rooms. If you prefer warmer temperatures in those rooms you might want to do the same in your sewing room. Or pick a happy medium. Or pick up a product in the line of what Tartan described and have as much flexibility as possible.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

I have 4 LED daylight 60W bulbs in a ceiling fan light. I don't use the fan. I have a 5 light pole lamp with the same bulbs in them. I want it nice and bright. I have a 60W LED bulb over kitchen sink. I have 3 100W LED daylight bulbs in a utility room. Everywhere else I have 60W soft white LED bulbs.

I have to buy the daylight bulbs at Home Depot as our Walmart only has soft white.

Welcome to this board. I hope you stay on here.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:30 PM

I'll put my vote in for daylight. Before I had my cataract surgeries, I would pick out a top to wear thinking it was one color, found out differently when got it upstairs ninto the daylight. Same thing happened with thread color. I found web page that, while it sells LED light, tells about the different LED lights. https://sewbrighter.com.au/led-sewin...ine-lights-101

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-02-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I'll put my vote in for daylight. Before I had my cataract surgeries, I would pick out a top to wear thinking it was one color, found out differently when got it upstairs ninto the daylight. Same thing happened with thread color. I found web page that, while it sells LED light, tells about the different LED lights. https://sewbrighter.com.au/led-sewin...ine-lights-101

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
I totally agree about needing daylight to determine the true colors. I made some log cabin blocks using jelly roll strips I thought were a black print. When I viewed the blocks in the daylight, some of the strips were actually navy. Same thing with thread. Now I check colors first in daylight.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. On YouTube, I saw Pat Sloan talk about a LED light neck unit. It allows you to point both ends of the flexible light at your work surface and had coo/warm settings and high/low settings. It looked interesting and could move from machine to hand sewing easily since you wear it.
I have two of these lights, both won as door prizes at two different quilt shows LOL They are difficult for me to keep the light where I want it. They work okay for a book light.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:23 PM

I like the bright white LED's...I bought a "daylight" lamp for my embroidery machine, and found that it changed the colors..I could choose a matching thread color much more easily with the bright white LED's.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:40 AM

I mostly have "daylight" bulbs in my sewing room but there are a couple of warm bulbs mixed in just because I have never changed them (lol). I have not yet invested in a led replacement for my sewing machine because I have spotlights on track lighting that light my machine.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:48 AM

Thank you all for all input.
It is truly great to get so much response and feedback.
And thank you all for the greetings it truly makes me feel welcome.

Since the post I have googled some about daylight led:s temperature and it seems that the question does not end there.
Daylight color is actually a range of colors (you can see the colors when the water separates the colors of daylight and produce a rainbow). The colors of the fabric you see is actually the light from the bulb that gets reflected. So if you do not have a light with e.g. a lot of the blue range of colors you will have a hard time seeing differences in the blue fabric you are using.
So to see colors well I think it would be good to have a natural light led with good range of colors.
http://www.orealighting.com/uploads/...hoto-Index.jpg

Now I just have to find a producer that makes a daylight bulb with b15d connection.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:43 PM

Jingle, can you recommend a brand of light bulbs? I have an awful time with fluorescent light and trying to get LED lighting is proving to be (literally) nauseating.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Kirsten