Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I wrong >

Am I wrong

Am I wrong

Old 10-08-2020, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

You were probably nicer about it then I would have been. Trying to pull stunt like that shows she thinks her customers are too dumb to know any better. I would make sure all my quilting friends knew about her work. This is when a guild is important. All it takes is one quilt to be messed up by a longarmer with no apology or fix offered to lose most all business in the town. Word gets around.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:56 PM

I think she should work with you if she wants any future customers. After all, she is just out her time and thread. You are out your fabric, batting and money you paid for a finished quilt. It’s not finished by any means if the quilting is all coming loose. That is bad work on her part and bad business for her long arm career.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:47 PM

Hmmmm. This really shouldn't happen. I'm not sure how experienced this person is or who recommended her, but going forward, there are just too many other people who would like your business.

Sorry this is happening to you.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:32 AM

I’m with you on this one. If she wasn’t going to anchor the beginning and end stitches, she should have either buried them or left enough thread for you to bury them yourself. She was totally wrong and should be embarrassed. If she can’t be honest, she can’t be trusted. Find someone else.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:39 AM

You are not being to picky at all. I am a beginner at learning on my long/mid arm quilting machine. I either stitch in place a few stitches or I go edge to edge to be sure the binding captures my ends. These are my own quilts that I make and give as gifts, or donate, or I have made as an order. I do not quilt for others. But even my other projects I do make and sell, such as the jellyroll rugs or pillows, or table runners, I always use my lock stitch several times at each ending or beginning so nothing comes unraveled for the person who purchases it.
After discovering what you did, if I were you, I would not send any of my quilts to her again.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:37 AM

Where were the loose threads - on the edge of the quilt or in the body of the quilt? If they were at the edge, could they have been cut when the quilt was trimmed, therefore cutting off her secured stitches? Just a question.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:22 AM

I am sorry this happened to you and I don't think you are being too fussy at all. I agree with everyone else that possibly you can get a refund and lesson learned never to use her again.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

That's really bad business. I think you're totally justified on this.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:39 PM

Again, thanks for all your support! The unlocked stitches were all over the quilt. I spent the time pulling out a few stitches in each spot , tying tog bobbin and top threads, then burying the knot. It took about 2 hours to do at least 60 areas. Most of them looked like she had locked stitched at the end of a run, moved to another nearby area and kept stitching without first locking the new start. I tried to show her that but she just was too defensive to get what I was talking about I guess. Anyway, the quilt still looks great. The front is a Judy Niemeyer design and the back is a very busy batik. Unless someone really studies it, I don’t think it will be noticeable and washing the quilt will probably get rid of the holes in the fabric from pulling out the stitches. I did post pictures of the quilt on Picture Forum.. thanks again!
Old 10-09-2020, 05:07 PM

Yikes! I LA for others and one thing I always check is the back for any lose threads as sometimes it looks great on front but a thread has wiggled out on the back. Can't believe she didn't fix it for you.