Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those with several (many?) sewing machines - >

For those with several (many?) sewing machines -

For those with several (many?) sewing machines -

Old 10-10-2020, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Default For those with several (many?) sewing machines -

If you could have/keep only one sewing machine - which one would you keep? and why?

I do not have one, but if I did, it would be a good treadle - because sometimes the electric power fails - and I have gotten into a bit of a doomsday mind set.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:45 AM

Great question! I am fortunate enough to have 5 sewing machines including a featherweight and a treadle. But without a doubt if I could only keep one it would be the Janome 15000. I love all of the bells and whistles and that I can use it for embroidery. If the power goes out, I will pick up a hand project.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:31 AM

That is a hard question! I think that I would keep one of my hand cranks just so I could sew even if the power went out. Wouldn't be able to see, but I could sew!!!
Old 10-10-2020, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of machines including many vintage. I would have a hard time deciding.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:26 PM

I own over 20 machines, many restored thrift store finds. If I was limited to just one, it would probably be my Grandmothers Singer Featherweight because it is small enough to fit almost anywhere and could be converted to hand crank if necessary. Option 2 would be my Singer 201. It can see anything - including thick leather!
Old 10-10-2020, 01:10 PM

I have 14 machines as of right now 2 are featherweights. It would be hard to choose but I would keep my treadle and a FW. Every other machine would have to find a new loving home. I don't believe I could narrow it to just 1 machine.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I would keep all of them. Unless someone was meaner and tougher than I am.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:28 PM

If it was due to needing to cut back, I'd probably keep my big embroidery combo machine - because I can do everything on it, including FMQ.

Now, if it were for "worse case" situation, I think it would be the Singer 401G. This is like the Singer 401, but is the model that comes treadle ready. That way I'd have a treadle, but it would be a swing needle machine that takes cams for lots of decorative stitches. It also takes "modern" bobbins and needles so no hunting for vintage stock to use it.

It's hard to think about only having one, right now I'm working on downsizing to under 100

Old 10-10-2020, 03:34 PM

I have four machines, and hands down I would keep the Janome 8900. I love this machine. It is a work horse, and it does anything I ask it to do.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:43 PM

Wow, I have actually been thinking about that, our age is showing and we are thinking about an Independent Living apartment where we could transition to assisted living if necessary. I have 20 machines, some excellent vintage, some computerized. I have given away a couple this spring and a couple last year.
I would definitely keep my Brother Luminaire, even though it takes a lot of space. But I think I would also have to keep one of my lightweight travel machines.
With all of the mask making & other projects I've been rotating my machines to see which ones I can start to pass on to others and which ones I love the most, I actually love them all.