Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt a panel without ruining 'the view' >

How to quilt a panel without ruining 'the view'

How to quilt a panel without ruining 'the view'

Old 10-13-2020, 03:24 AM

Default How to quilt a panel without ruining 'the view'

So, I buy one of the new digitally-printed panels, maybe a winter view of stream and trees. I add surrounding details or just simple borders, then need to quilt it. It does not lend itself to outlining the elements of the 'picture', and it feels like a grid quilting will push the image back. This is intended to be a wall hanging. What else can I do to quilt it?
Old 10-13-2020, 04:17 AM

Panel wall hanging

This is the link to a recent project. I used large-grid crosshatch to minimize interruption with panel image.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:26 AM

I would probably go with clear thread in a wind/wave pattern.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I would probably go with clear thread in a wind/wave pattern.
Interesting idea! The only other thing I have thought of is to tack it. I do not have a 'tack stitch' on my regular machine, but can fake it I guess. But I doubt clear thread would do well as a tack as regular thread would.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
Interesting idea! The only other thing I have thought of is to tack it. I do not have a 'tack stitch' on my regular machine, but can fake it I guess. But I doubt clear thread would do well as a tack as regular thread would.
I like regular thread better than clear thread because the clear seems to have a bit of shine to it and a thin thread that matches to the background seems to blend in better....when I work on panel type things I will sometimes just meander with a very fine thread...while doing outlining and thread painting would make it look better, the meander seems to mostly disappear while holding the quilt together...often I will use a "dusty" color that blends in....like a dusty green, or a dusty grey...or a dusty faded rose....
Old 10-13-2020, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I like regular thread better than clear thread because the clear seems to have a bit of shine to it and a thin thread that matches to the background seems to blend in better....when I work on panel type things I will sometimes just meander with a very fine thread...while doing outlining and thread painting would make it look better, the meander seems to mostly disappear while holding the quilt together...often I will use a "dusty" color that blends in....like a dusty green, or a dusty grey...or a dusty faded rose....
That sounds interesting, too. If I use a good batting I won't need to do much quilting. Maybe I can meander [with purpose] and it will just look like part of the scene. I have little experience with wall hangings, but assume I will need something like Warm 'n Natural to give it heft to hang right. Is your 'very fine' thread larger number than 50w?