Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilts do you keep? >

How many quilts do you keep?

How many quilts do you keep?

Old 10-12-2020, 09:45 AM

I have quite a few myself. Since I usually make quilts “just because,” I have a bunch of tops as well as finished quilts. As others mentioned, it’s nice to have one on hand in case I need one for someone. Otherwise my daughter can dole them out after I’m gone. She’s not someone who will just give them to Goodwill or something like that. Once in a while I think why should I keep making quilts. Then the feeling passes when I remember the happiness I feel when I’m sewing in my sewing room.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:37 AM

My husband says we have too many. I think I have kept 30 quilts, given15 to friends and family (the ones that would appreciate it) and gave 6 to7 to charity.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:40 PM

Default how many quilts do you keep?

Originally Posted by pbraun View Post
I started making what I call picnic quilts. They are meant lay on the ground, take washing, and wear out, so I can keep making them. None of the recipients have to feel they need to be shown off in their homes. I also make what I call floor quilts to use when babies visit and I feel my floors are not clean enough. If they like the numbers or letters, birds or puppies, they can take it home. And finally I am trying "deck quilts" for those cold but not too cold days when sitting outside warrants a warm blanket.
I love the idea of deck quilts! Think I will do more of those for gifts--before Christmas gifts!
Old 10-12-2020, 06:56 PM

Mine are all made for charity so they’re not all that complicated. I have “keepers” - all made by family members, not me. I bought an UFO at a garage sale for $5. I’ve worked on it some, if I get it done, I’ll have it quilted and keep it. It’s an Eleanor Burns pattern.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:21 PM

I've made about 85 quilting projects in the ten years I've been quilting - quilts, table runners, wall hangings, placemats, Christmas tree skirts, etc. I have about 10 around the house that I use or display. The others have all been given away. Like Tallchick, I make what I like and eventually the perfect recipient shows up. I love it when someone admires a quilt, and I can tell that they really love it. When I tell them to take it home, the look on their face is priceless.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

I make dozens of charity lap and kids' quilts to donate, so I'm only including bed sized quilts in my answer (and I donate some of those, too). I have between 3 and 5 quilts for each of our 4 bedrooms, plus a couple in the utility room. The big quilts can be stacked on top of beds and rotated as desired. Sometimes a houseguest goes home with one. That's happened a few times. If they love it, it should go home with them.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:53 AM

Most of the quilts I've made in a class or as a guild challenge usually end up staying with me. Our guild does Christmas exchange blocks each year that our members sign and date. We have also had a half-square triangle block exchange that I call my Friendship quilt...a collection of fabric from all my fellow guild members. When I take a class, I choose fabrics for my taste and home and therefore keep the quilt for my enjoyment. I do have one I will save for the right person (bee theme fabrics)
My count is 6 quilts and many wall-hangings.

The quilts I give away are baby and children's quilts. To me, they are the most fun to make! I also make family members quilts. The person receiving the quilt has input on fabric and color choices. The pattern choice is up to me. Everyone has different color sense so for a quilt to be loved, this is very important to me to involve the recipient.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:10 AM

I have at least a dozen wallhangings/table runners of various sizes that I have kept. Some are for seasonal swap outs, others are hung either here, or at our cabin. I have two regular sized ones I've kept that are used for snuggle time while watching tv. I also have two tops that need to be finished. One I will keep for sure, not sure on the other one. The majority of what I make is made for a specific person or occasion.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:06 PM

Not enough. As someone who is a quilter, you'd think I'd have more quilts in my own house.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:48 AM

My children's quilts are donated to Project Linus ( this gives me joy) , ones for family and very close friends go to the recipent, anything else I keep in the two wonderful storage cabinets my husband bought me. I may have 12 now that I keep.