Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use >

Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use

Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use

Old 11-27-2020, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sharongn View Post
Hi beckyboo. What was it you stopped using? The June Tailor thing or the slotted ruler?
I have the June Tailor shape cut and quarter cut slotted rulers. That's what I was referring too. Somehow, I feel like I still manage to move the slots lol
Old 11-27-2020, 02:58 PM

For those looking for a comfy seat enhancer, Bonnie Hunter has a coupon on her blog for a Sew Pad right now. Quite expensive, but is the same material used in wheelchair seats with an air mesh cover. I have not used one, so have no personal experience, but thought somebody may want to check it out. www.sewpad.com Bonnie's blog has a code for free shipping. Her website is https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2020...ng-wishes.html.

Not exactly a notion, but the reason I have not tried the Sew Pad is that I have a Heavenly Sewing chair that is the bee's knees. If you have back or hip pain, I cannot recommend it highly enough. All task style chairs are not made the same.

I have the Tucker Trimmer as well as the Wing Clipper. One for HST's and one for FG. Both work well as you are making larger and trimming down, so end up with perfect units. I will admit that I rarely use them anymore.

I did not like the June Taylor strip cutter at all. Those slots seemed to wobble all over the place. Now I have the Creative Grids Stripology ruler (I have the 1st one that came out, there are now 2 other models). I LOVE it for strip cutting - so much so that I use it all of the time and never used my Accuquilt so sold the Accuquilt. It just took up too much space.

Rotating mats: LOVE the Martelli. It has ball bearings so has a nice, smooth turn every time and is built to be sturdy. The green square one, the Olfa, was awful! It didn't rotate, I had to push it so hard that anything on it shifted, so kind of defeated the purpose. I got the 3 piece set, but don't ever use the ironing side. The original is 17" and they now have a Mini that is 10" which would probably work for me as I make mostly smaller units. It's a lot less expensive; if I were shopping for one I'd get the mini base and cutting mat and not get the ironing portion.

No Frixion pens for me, I've heard too many horror stories. the manufacturer says they are not designed for fabric. they have 2 inks, a thermal one that disappears with heat and a gel that stays behind. I do not want to risk having that gel stain or leave a ghost mark.

My worst purchase (so far, at least!) is Roxanne thimble - way too heavy and hurts an arthritic knuckle and both Thimble Lady and Barnett's quilting hoops. I cannot seem to grasp the motion needed, or perhaps am just not willing to put in the practice I need?
Old 11-27-2020, 05:24 PM

I looked at the Bonnie Hunter-endorsed cushion but just can't bring myself to pay that much. I have seen very similar cushions elsewhere for less than half that cost.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I looked at the Bonnie Hunter-endorsed cushion but just can't bring myself to pay that much. I have seen very similar cushions elsewhere for less than half that cost.
The same cushion is sold at other stores online. I found one for $39.99 and it's the same as my friends who bought one from Bonnie's Hunter's online shop.. Look at non quilting sites for this cushion with a different name.

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-27-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:43 PM

Quilt in a day Flying Geese ruler. Took a class and it was required. But since then I've found better luck and more size options using the 4at a time method.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:39 AM

I don't use my pin cushion anymore - I have one of those classic tomato shaped ones. I greatly prefer a small container with the pins loose inside. I can quickly grab a pinch of them when I need several, and when unpinning as a I sew, I can drop the pins back into the container without even looking at it. This definitely saves me time.

In the slotted ruler category, I bought the Quilt Cut one about a year ago and have been very happy with it. The slots don't move at all on me, and I can cat a batch of accurate strips/rectangles/squares very quickly. I feel like cutting is less stressful/tense with it, and more fun. When I was researching my options, I noticed there were some reviews that compared the Quilt Cut one with the Creative Grids one, and reviews noted that the Quilt Cut slots were 1.5" longer, which made it much easier to get a clean cut (width wise) for fabric folded twice. (I did not find any reviews comparing it to the June Taylor one.)
Old 11-28-2020, 05:48 AM

I also have a strip stick that I never use. It is just inefficient. I don't buy specialty rulers - like cooking tools - not interested in a "single tasker". I do love my Deb Tucker square ups and flying geese rulers and use them a lot
Old 11-28-2020, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
I also have a strip stick that I never use. It is just inefficient. I don't buy specialty rulers - like cooking tools - not interested in a "single tasker". I do love my Deb Tucker square ups and flying geese rulers and use them a lot
Hi maminstl, I'm with you about specialty cooking tools! I just don't use them at all. Especially, for me, cutting type gadgets.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
I also like my Martelli rotating set up. Cut mat and iron pad. And yesterday I saw they came out with a 10” set up. Much better size to sit next to machine for easy iron or square!

I do have some specialty rulers that may never get used!

I purchase a lot of little snip scissors and cast them aside fast. Cant seem to find a pair that fits me and cuts!
I have used nothing but the Fiskars microtip scissors for years. They stay sharp, cut all the way to the end, have a spring to reopen them, and are easy to grab and use as they don't have any finger holes.They take a little while to get used to, but wouldn't part with mine.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
I bought the binder tool. Never used it.
I used it a few times before a quilter friend showed me her method, and I never went back. Luckily, the binding tool wasn’t that expensive.