Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help using 20S/2 All Purpose Sewing Thread Spun Polyester Overlock Cone 1500 Yards Se >

Help using 20S/2 All Purpose Sewing Thread Spun Polyester Overlock Cone 1500 Yards Se

Help using 20S/2 All Purpose Sewing Thread Spun Polyester Overlock Cone 1500 Yards Se

Old 12-15-2020, 03:17 PM

Default Help using 20S/2 All Purpose Sewing Thread Spun Polyester Overlock Cone 1500 Yards Se

I bought 20S/2 All Purpose Sewing Thread Spun Polyester Overlock Cone 1500 Yards Sewing Thread , to be able to use more economical, larger cones if thread for my projects than the small spools, in my Singer 301a sewing machine. I mostly sew fleece fabrics, and some flannel and canvas. Fleece mostly and that's what its messing up with currently.

My machine has been sewing great with regular gutermann 100% polyester 500m & 1000m spoolsbof thread.
But immediately when trying to use the cone of thread I bought it tangles, knots and jams in my machine! I've tried putting cone behind, above & and tonside, above & straight behind machine, nothing is changing it. It tangles a mess below the plate. I'm using regular gutermann thread in bobbin. This polyester overclock cone seems thicker.
How can I get it to work reliably, smoothly in my singer 301a sewing machine?
Old 12-15-2020, 05:28 PM

It's a tension/thread quality issue if the 301 in my opinion1. Can be readjusted from the bobbin tension upwards if that's the main thread you plan to use. I found the 221 (same issues) way too fussy with tension issues going between overlock thread to the likes of Guttermann so that was left alone. I do use overlock thread for most of my construction though but that is on a 15-91 & 401A which have no problems with the stuff.

ps: set bobbin tension to allow for the overlock thread and then set the upper tension to balance the bottom
Old 12-16-2020, 11:47 AM

You can get the equivalent Gütermann thread in larger cones as in the smaller spools. I can't remember now, but the sew-all and I think the top-stitch are under a different name when they come in cones. Gütermann tend to be smoother and less dusty than other threads I have used.

20S/2 is two core thread in a jeans weight thread? (I'm not good with the weight and thickness numbers). When I sew with top stitch thread I always max out on needle size, it helps a lot with thick and densely woven fabrics. Sometimes the needle tip makes a difference, sharp or rounded tip. A worn needle can have developed a burr and drags fibers and pieces of thread. It's very important to match needle and thread size, especially when the fabric is a bit more challenging.

It can be an issue to have different upper and lower thread, but as long as you are careful with tension it usually works. Have you done a drop test or tension test for the bobbin case? The basic test stitching on two layers of cotton turn out fine? The 301 bobbin doesn't take that much top stitch thread. If you notice bumbs or unevenness in the thread something has gone wrong in the production, but when I have had this, it mostly acts up in the needle hole where the problem was relatively easy to identify.

Last edited by Mickey2; 12-16-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:57 PM

When using thicker thread, tighten the upper tension about as tight as you can. Although, I've never really got great tension on heavy threads, so I try to avoid them.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:47 PM

Welcome. Do you have a thread stand, so that when it comes off the cone it is going straight up? Do you have a widget on the spool pin of the machine so after it comes off the cone, the path is the same as a regular spool. I have used an empty bobbin with holes in it on the regular spool pin with the thread going through one of the holes after coming off the cone holder.

Another thing to check is that both threads are threaded correctly and going through the tensions correctly. Have you tried a new needle? From my understanding, if the loops are on the bottom that one needs to tighten the upper tension. I'm wondering if you wrapped the thread completely around one of the top thread guides would help like a pre-tensioner.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:38 AM

The subject of thread tension and twisting can be difficult, and you typically only find quick fixes, that may help you, if you are lucky. However this link will give you more real knowledge of the problems and some very effective solutions, and take your time looking through the first video: https://leatherworker.net/forum/topi...-and-twisting/