Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Light pad/ light box >

Light pad/ light box

Light pad/ light box

Old 12-11-2020, 10:04 AM

I have light tracer II which is 12x 17, one light it is at an angle. I also have wafer 2 lightbox 2 which I prefer for applique placement. I use it all the time on mt ironing board with my wool mat next to it and my fuse mat on top. It has 3 light settings. I do like the angle of the light tracer better for drawing but if I had to choose 1 wafer would be it but it is also twice the price so keep that in mind. I find the wafer 2 to be a good size for my ironing board and projects, don't think I would need the three I just wish I got the smaller fuse mat
Old 12-11-2020, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Soooooooo .... I hate spending $$ if I don't have to!

My light box is an old drawer (or you could use any drawer).
Flashlights in the drawer and a piece of plexi over the top.
(when I first used a drawer, I just used one of my quilting square rulers)
Painters tape to hold the original in place.
Clamps to hold the fabric on the outer edges.
Painters tape where the clamps won't reach.

And .... when I need a flashlight .... I always know where to find one/them!!
My set up is similar. I use and old glass from an end table or the sew steady table that goes with an old machine with an old lamp behind or under it. It works fine for what I do. I also use the painters tape to hold the fabric in place. I'm going to have to look for a drawer to use. I never thought of that.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
My set up is similar. I use and old glass from an end table or the sew steady table that goes with an old machine with an old lamp behind or under it. It works fine for what I do. I also use the painters tape to hold the fabric in place. I'm going to have to look for a drawer to use. I never thought of that.
Found mine as a free giveaway on the side of the street!! Before that, I had just used a drawer in my sewing machine cabinet.

The freebie is a lot larger surface to work on. The handle makes it easy-peasy to carry. Mostly, I leave it set up on top of a wooden TV table with all the "stuff" (markers, clamps, painters' tape, flashlights, etc.) inside it. Otherwise, I have a zippered pouch I put it all in, and leave it with the drawer in the corner of a closet.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:00 PM

Many years ago, I bought a glass top desk identical to this. I use it as a "light box" a lot. Just put a small lamp under it when necessary. Often don't even need the light.
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...-ltdr3353.html

I also have an led wafer light box very similar to the one that aashley posted, that I like because it is so portable.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:08 AM

I bought an inexpensive one from Amazon for about $20 USD. While I haven’t used it much, I find it really handy when I need it. Its great for appliqué. It’s about 11x17 or somewhere in there. Anything bigger, use my window.