Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Everything Avocado! >

Everything Avocado!

Everything Avocado!

Old 01-09-2021, 09:54 AM

Default Everything Avocado!

I've been seeing so many interesting ways to use avos lately. Here are just a couple. Please add to it.

- Avocado and banana spread. Just smash/blend an avo and a ripe banana together and use as a dessert topping. This is sort of sweet and very nice tasting. I might add a little bit of sweetener to it to intensify the sweetness. I put mine in a yogurt and berry parfait. It might be good for a cupcake topping. It does go brown fast, so make it at the last minute.

- Fried Avocado Wedges. I haven't tried this one yet, but it is tempting. I just look at fried food and gain 5 pounds, so maybe as a special treat...after I lose a few. Cut an avo into 8 wedges, dredge in vegan buttermilk and then in a bowl of Panko, salt and pepper. Fry in a deep pot of oil, 350 f, for about 30 - 60 seconds. Remove and drain. *This is from VegNews, Winter 2021.

- Avocado Pasta. I've posted this before but it's on topic so I'll mention it again. Cook your favorite pasta, drain and while hot, squish a ripe avocado into the pasta. Toss, maybe add some s&p, garlic, parsley, or a bit of olive oil. Prettttty good!

Avocado is a very healthy replacement for ingredients like butter, cheese, trans fats, etc. Well...I don't know about fried avos, but in most cases anyway.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I've been seeing so many interesting ways to use avos lately. Here are just a couple. Please add to it.

Avocado is a very healthy replacement for ingredients like butter, cheese, trans fats, etc. Well...I don't know about fried avos, but in most cases anyway.
I live in an avocado grove and we mostly use it fresh as in spread, Guacamole, or instead of butter or wedges/cubed on top or mixed into food the last moment. Yeah I wasn't sure about the fried either. The only time I have used it cooked if I accidentally added it to Mexican food before I reheated it or as in avocado bread.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I am one of a very few that has no desire for avocado. I will eat them when served to avoid the whole You DON"T like avocado?!!! LOL
Old 01-09-2021, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Avocado pasta sounds fab!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2021, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I am one of a very few that has no desire for avocado. I will eat them when served to avoid the whole You DON"T like avocado?!!! LOL
You are not alone. My first experience with avocado was not a good one. For me, there is no reason to eat an avocado.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:55 AM

I eat a half of an avocado almost daily...on salad, sliced on the side with a medium poached egg, or in a tortilla with beans and rice but I can’t wait to try the avocado in pasta. Thanks for sharing these ideas.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:34 AM

I heard somewhere that you could survive on an isolated island by consuming avocado...
Avocados from Mexico seem to have more flavor; of course, I lived near the border for 30 years. Bean (refried), cheese, and avocado taquito is my fav.
After grilled cheese is done, open up and add sliced avocado.
Spread avocado on turkey sandwich instead of mayo.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

tropit- you forgot the Romano. I can't eat pasta w/o it.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:37 AM

I even use avocado oil for cooking and on my saled
Old 01-10-2021, 01:34 PM

My Mom used Avocado oil on her face. Said it kept the wrinkles away.