Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tin Lizzie >

Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie

Old 07-01-2019, 04:46 PM

I've just got to jump in here. I have had my Janome Artistic which is the same as Tin Lizzie since 2014. I am an active free motion quilter and always have something that needs quilting. I've done numerous quilts from baby to king. In the beginning, I had some tension issues but was able to solve them by watching Jamie Wallen Tension on You Tube. The bobbin winder quit working and although I was able to repair it with a very inexpensive washer, I decided to purchase a stand alone bobbin winder. I literally sail along quilting on thick batting to thin batting. I use cotton thread, polyester thread and glide thread. I keep it clean and oil it frequently - including a spot on the right hand side near the top that I learned about my mistake.

I made the purchase because of the cost as I purchased it for $4,000. I have no complaints and am planning on many more years of service from this machine. I will add that the machine does not have a stitch regulator and I'm really OK with that. Also, a ruler foot does not come with this machine and from talking to different Janome dealers, it doesn't appear a ruler foot is available for this machine either. Again, I'm OK with that too.

I'd have to give this machine a stand up 10 out of 10 because it works, and I have used the heck out of it.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:48 PM

I have the Pfaff P3 which is a Tin Lizzie in a different dress. I love this machine, it's very affordable, reliable, and not picky at all. Most of my problems have been "operator error" and solvable by myself, or a owners group on Facebook. I've owned it for at least 6 years now and use it quite a lot.
Parts are readily available according to my service man (who services many different types of machines). He says these are reliable and easy to maintain and will provide years of service if properly cared for. (He commented to my husband that I take really good care of it.
As with all things, you will find those who hate it, those who love it, and all ranges in between.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:26 PM

suggest you [ook at Q'nique by Grace Co. i bought 21" from Allbrand for a very reasonable price. it works very well; i am very happy with it. Grace also makes Q'nique in a 15" size.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:48 AM

Thanks Nena, I bought it! I got mixed reviews but tried it out, quilted well so took a chance. Wish me luck!
Originally Posted by nena View Post
I have a Tin Lizzie 18. Had a few learning curves My stitch regulator doesn't work but I found out my sisters grandson
dropped it and that was probably the problem. Didn't get it fixed ,just use manual. Thread was breaking but needed to lower the presser foot some. It does love glide thread. I also buy pre wound bobbins. It sews like a dream now. I have had it about 15 years.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:34 PM

I've had my Tin Lizzie for about 7,8 years now...I bought it used, and not working..but cheap! Someone's husband got into it and just started adjusting things..he had zero experience with sewing machines, much less longarms..everything that could be moved or unscrewed and adjusted was! It was a project, but I got it working and never had a problem with since. They are very, very basic machines. If you can adjust tension on your domestic machine, you can easily tune your Tin Lizzie. I use all kinds of thread in my machine and it does fine with all of them. Other than oiling and basic cleaning, the only thing I've ever had to replace was a big spring on the presser foot bar..(husband of prior owner)...broken in half. Most issues with TL are operators not understanding the basics of a machine..not the machine itself. As for parts, I'm not worried, they are the same as many other models still being made, (viking 18-8, etc.)..there just aren't that many parts on them. I have the Lizzie stitch on mine, and use it often. I bought a qbot for it a few years ago and really like that with it.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:08 PM

Toogie, great, let me know if you have any problems. Maybe i could help.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:52 AM

Default Help

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
I love my Tin Lizzie, it fit my budget, but I have never used any other long arm. I started with a short arm. I have Q-Bot with mine, and love that I can set it to do pantos while I do other things in the room.
I recently purchased a Locksmith Lizzie. First longarm I have had. I am struggling to get it to work properly. I also have Qbot and nothing seems to be going correctly. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Do I have to have tablet and ipad on at same time to use properly.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:51 AM

This is for StillSewin. I also have a Janome Artistic 18, there is a ruler foot. You can get them at Sewing Parts Online. I bought mine from my dealer though. You cannot use all rulers with it though. As it is a 9/16 foot and not 1/2 foot. Hope you understand what I mean.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:42 AM

I bought my Queen Quilter (Tin Lizzie) about 10 years ago and have only had it serviced once. Seems to like any thread I use. When I had to have it serviced, I just took the machine AND the platform it rides on (both sections). Still going strong.