Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate quilting! >

I hate quilting!

I hate quilting!

Old 04-09-2021, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Synnove View Post
When you watch online videos of FMQ, they are always demonstrating on an 18 inch sandwich! Slip a 60 inch quilt underneath that needle and it's a different story.
Yep, funny!

We can quilt any design on that size, with two smooth pieces of fabric and batting - I want to watch them do this design on a bed quilt!"

Old 04-10-2021, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I hear ya...not my favorite part either. I've learned that my quilts are easier to quilt and look, "ok" to "good," if I just sew long lines. I even let them curve here and there and sometimes, if I want to get fancy, I make them look like a wood grain, or water, but basically, they are just long lines of stitches in a free form fashion. This has relieved a lot of stress for me.
Here, Here! Once I discovered and began to use wavy quilting, not a wide serpentine programed on my machine, but as described by Tropit, I began to enjoy my quilting results more. It will work for most quilts and speeds up the quilting process, leaving more time for creating more tops which I love.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:00 AM

It's supposed to be fun so if there's a part that's not fun for you, then figure out how to either A: not do it (quilt by check) or B: make it fun (get a larger throat machine or a LA)

you'll get no judgement from me, only support!
Old 04-10-2021, 05:08 AM

Julie, I hear you loud and clear!!! I love picking out the fabric and patterns, I love seeing everything come together, I love laying it out and trying different ways of putting it together. But quilting!!! Ugh. I cannot afford a long arm nor do I have the room, I don't even have the room for a dedicated quilting area. I cannot send it out for someone else to longarm it as 1) I can't afford it and 2) I want to be able to say I made the entire quilt myself. One of my quilting rules is that I can't start a new quilt until I finish the one I'm working on and I pretty much hold to this. If I didn't I would have way too many quilt tops hanging around.

One of my LQS's gives lessons on their long arm and then rents it out. I've considered trying this though COVID has held up that plan a bit. Not sure how much that would cost and if I even have the ability to use a long arm. Looks complicated. I've seen such nice quilting patterns, though, and sometimes that is what makes the quilt, especially if there is a lot of solid color background.

For now I'm going to stick to my straight line quilting, try to squish it under the throat, and make smaller quilts and maybe try stitch as you go. Much as I'd like to, I can't even stitch in the ditch! I have to look into some of these videos that are referenced, hopefully they will help.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:57 PM

I used to do my own quilting. I had an old Singer 241 that was set up for free motion quilting. I mostly used the squish (puddling) method and never got past meandering. It was too tough to move a large quilt around and sync moving the quilt to the stitch speed.

But the worst part was the quilt sandwich. No matter what I do, there's a fold, a tuck, or a bubble. Didn't matter how I pinned or basted or how much I clamped the backing to the table before I basted together. I finally gave up and found someone nearby with a long-arm set up. Best idea I ever had. I don't mind paying about $100 per twin size quilt. I don't have the space for a long-arm setup and the ROI is about 150 quilts. I am proud to support my local economy.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:01 PM

I like the FMQ on my domestic part but not basting the top, batting and backing together to get it ready for FMQ. My Janome has a 9" harp space and these 3 extra inches make it so much easier to move thru the machine.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:59 AM

I hand quilt everything except Project Linus quilts and baby quilts that I gift. and those are easy to machine quilt with straight lines. I love it, I can't sit still without doing something while watching TV, so I do all my quilting in my lap while watching TV in the evenings.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
I hate the quilting part of this hobby. My DMS has the "normal" throat space so I end up wrestling with the quilt. Don't have room for long or mid arm quilting and not sure I have the creative talent to invest in a machine. Even wrestling with lap size quilts is a pain. Seems the only quilting I'm able to manage is fancy straight line quilting.

After I finish piecing I do the Gib's smack and think why didn't I plan for quilt as you go?

Don't get me wrong. I love love the process of creating the tops. Choosing a pattern, the fabric, cutting, sewing the blocks and finally seeing the quilt coming alive. And yes...love sewing the binding on.

I'm almost done with this quilt and have two more glue basted waiting for me. Right now the only thing that keeps me going is I'm committed to sewing for Project Linus.

OK...thank you for the rant. Back to the machine. (I really just have to rotate in my chair and there the quilt and machine sits waiting for me,)
Hi Julienm1....I feel about like you on quilting. I love picking fabrics, cutting and piecing and seeing the quilt come together with the backing - knowing it's just about finished. I used to have a sit down quilting machine, but I sold it to a friend - I just like the process of making it more than quilting it. So, what I wanted to share is something I used to do (and sometimes I still do) on my regular machine to accomplish quilting - unless it was a queen or king. On a wide table, I would pick up the right side of my sewing machine and turn it to the back. With the machine turned, I could use the free motion because the machine position gave me a lot of space from left to right so I could maneuver the quilt around and across a lot easier and your quilt has more room going across the machine and staying on the table. (kinda like the sit down machine I had....) If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to clarify.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:39 AM

I'm another one where the quilting is not my favorite part. I really got spoiled when I had access to a long arm... it's hard to go back. I'm not really, I have put a king sized quilt through my old vintage machine, just a log cabin and just a grid but still.. My modern deep machine has a huge throat space and I can do details when I want. When my machine is working well, even though still not my favorite part, I'm ok doing stuff up to about twin size. Over that and it gets physically wearing on me but still manageable up to queen size if I'm just doing basic grids for the most part.

With my busy scrap quilts and limited quilting imagination, I'm finding the basic serpentine stitch to be a very reasonable option for a quilt that is going to be machine washed and used hard anyway.

A big part of the problem is the sandwiching/laying the tops out. I have a small house where my queen bed is the largest workspace I have -- yes, even if I move furniture around and work on the floor. Besides, I have to have an exit plan or at least strategy to get up again if I work on the floor. We're still largely closed down with Covid restrictions so I can't even book the meeting room at the library or fire station. Although I can run into the hubby's work after hours and get a quick picture, now even the lunch room tables have permanent dividers on them that would make it very hard to use them.

edit: Forgot the plan: I've lived in this house for close to 30 years now. It is amazing the things we have squirreled away. We are currently doing home improvements, some of which is just getting rid of stuff. We hope to put a freezer in the laundry room. I figure if we can clear it out to fit a freezer in there, I can get one of those folding ping pong tables that are often free or close to it on Craig's List. I'd have to wheel it out to the yard (flat grade/no step) and only use during good weather but how often do I layout a quilt anyway? They are light, the surface finish doesn't matter to me, and the height is a good work height.

Love the planning the most! The piecing is ok, but the fun part is when all the little subunits are made and you start making blocks and the puzzle gets put together. I'm probably going to leave this world with more than a few unquilted tops. I'm ok with that. Going for "as few UFOs as possible" and "less fabric than I have now" but no guarantees.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-12-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:57 AM

I know that certain chapters of Project Linus accept just the tops, in NY. However, I have also tried to donate to other chapters and they are much more picky about what they accept. One chapter even accepted strips of knitted blankets and has volunteers assemble them during their different event days--perhaps you could find a chapter that would do this with your quilt top. Of course all of that was before Covid. Just an idea, but what about a girl scout troop or a home and careers class at a local school. Perhaps they would like to learn the process and then donate them for a certain cause. Either way, you are doing a wonderful thing by donating your works of art. From the sounds of things, several young people will be enjoying comfy quilts that were created with care.