Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labeling items to sell >

Labeling items to sell

Labeling items to sell

Old 04-15-2021, 12:42 PM

Default Labeling items to sell

I have a rather large stash and and thinking about doing small items for craft sales this fall. Some of it falls into that "what was I thinking" category or fabric that I once just had to have and don't have a clue what to do with it. I have been trying to come up with a way of identifying my work. My thoughts wander from some sort of embroidered ribbon or neutral colored fabric with a name on it or just a small paper tag pinned onto the item.

So, for those of you who sell your quilts, toppers, runners etc, how do you label your items for sale?

Old 04-15-2021, 01:42 PM

I use my tacking gun and tack the price tag so it can be cut loose with ease. Every couple years I put some of my fabrics up for sale at our Guild's garage sale and this method has worked great.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:31 PM

It depends what kind of labelling you want - temporary or permanent.

​​​​​I got some embroidered labels made that I put on quilts. The labels are small; they say "Made by Jennifer" which is both personal enough for me, and also anonymous enough for me. I think I got 50 for $20ish. I got them from the Dutch Label Shop, but there are plenty of other places that will make them. If you want a logo the cost goes up, but they're still pretty reasonable for large items.

For smaller items that will still be washed, I make little hang tags out of card stock that include washing instructions. You can get a craft punch that punches out little tag shapes, but I just cut them into rectangles with an old rotary cutter and ruler. I hole punch the corner, attach a loop of ribbon, and pin the ribbon to the item (the tags get ripped too easily if you pin them directly to the item). You could print a logo on tags like these if you wanted them to be identifiable in a shop.

For really small things (like greeting cards or silly pencils) I just use little price stickers from the dollar store.

Good luck with thinning your stash!
Old 04-15-2021, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

For sale tags I did out of squares of card stock with the price and type of article and safety pinned on. I didn’t want anyone to switch tickets while I wasn’t looking.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:51 AM

https://youtu.be/120tBzm53eM - You can make twill tape labels with your inkjet printer and heat-transfer paper - these are folded and inserted in seams.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:18 PM

Jjuliasb - Not a bad suggestion on the tacking gun but I would have to buy one (lol)!

Jennifer23- I will check them out. I looked at Amazon but did not see anything I liked.

Tartan - I was leaning toward little tags just pinned on but then I wondered about a little sew on tag. I would still need to pin on a price tag I think.

thepolyparrot - really a cool video. I have seen the transfer paper as so many folks use it for photos. I clearly didn't think out side the box on that one!! That might be a viable option.

Thanks all for your input. I am just starting to formulate my plan and your suggestions help.