Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
January - June 2021 Round Robin >

January - June 2021 Round Robin

January - June 2021 Round Robin

Old 05-04-2021, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by hav4boys View Post
Here's the start to my border. Have a few beakers and test tubes to make and Olympic National Park and then I will tie it all together. She likes dinosaur, math, science, pacific Northwest, hiking, thistle, and orange cats. My border will have it all!
quilt.
So cute, can't wait to see it all out together.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by hav4boys View Post
Here's the start to my border. Have a few beakers and test tubes to make and Olympic National Park and then I will tie it all together. She likes dinosaur, math, science, pacific Northwest, hiking, thistle, and orange cats. My border will have it all!
Wow those look wonderful ;-)
Old 05-05-2021, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by jacquie View Post
Hi ladies, It's lovely to see all the quilt tops coming along so well! Haven't they developed beautifully!!

I've finished attaching CarrieM's borders and will get it into the post today... I had such fun playing with the flowers and birds! It's turning into a beautiful quilt!!
Jacquie it looks so great. The black against the blue really pops and the lovely colors you used are so great. Hugs!!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Here is my finished top. This is very nice - thank you everyone!
so pretty ;-) I'm so glad you like it. Don't the flowers and stained glass pop? Love it. Hugs!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mona G View Post
Macybaby, that is stunning.
I second that emotion. Just stunning. Hugs!!
Old 05-05-2021, 05:20 PM

I don't check in for a couple days and there is lots more progress made!! All great borders.

Jacquie so much detail on my border (group 1)...thank you!!

Macybaby, you too!! I got my quilt for group 2 in the mail today and couldn't wait to open it! I even took it to PT (she is a quilter too) to show it off!! We just stood there admiring all the hard work that went into each border. Thank you all.

I am sorry that my borders aren't as intricate as all of yours!! I hope no one is disappointed. I thank you for letting me participate. I am still struggling with thumb/wrist pain and my shoulder is not well at this time either....last week after PT I couldn't do much at all for 3 days. I am making forward progress on Suz's border. I'll be working on it some more the next couple days....

Old 05-06-2021, 02:28 AM

CarrieM, I’m so glad you like my addition to your lovely quilt top! I particularly enjoyed applique, it tends to be my ‘go to’ when quilting... and don’t you worry at all, I LOVE the border you have added to my RR top, it’s perfect! 🤩👌🏻
Happy sewing!! 🤩❤️😍
Old 05-06-2021, 04:46 AM

Carrie, never feel bad about the border you decide to put on. Sometimes something more basic is the best choice so things don't get too busy and end up looking like a mess. I like doing small piece blocks, but I have to think long and hard if that is what will actually look best for the next round. That is another reason it's nice to have people with different skill levels so we do get that variety in the finished top.

What I did for yours was actually rather basic, I was only turning it and repeating the rows already there. Then I started playing with the dresden plate challenge and got the idea that it would be fun to toss a few of them on your top. They are way, way simpler to make than one would think by looking at them.

When considering colors, I felt that I needed to bring the off white into the top again, or it was going to look out of place as no one else had repeated that color yet. When doing the first few round, you can pretty much go with what you want, but for the last few rounds, I feel it's important to consider the top as a whole and see if there is a color that does need to come back in to pull it all together. This is what happened to my top with the last RR - someone early on added some different colors to the quilt, but then no one in the remaining rounds pulled them back in, and at the end they stood out like a sore thumb. It wasn't that they were a "mistake" when added, it's that the rest of the quilt went off in a different direction.

I'm always amazed at those that do the applique - I've been playing with it more and more, and I'm still not a big fan of doing it myself - so getting a top that someone else has done that part works great for me.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Sometimes something more basic is the best choice so things don't get too busy ...

When considering colors, ...
I have been lurking and admiring each border. Sometimes I do wonder why a border was chosen because it doesn't seem to match in my opinion. When the next border is added, I can see that the border I questioned does work. I am gradually learning about how the borders play together (or not). Thanks Macybaby, for the lesson on choosing borders.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:22 AM

"When considering colors, I felt that I needed to bring the off white into the top again, or it was going to look out of place as no one else had repeated that color yet. When doing the first few round, you can pretty much go with what you want, but for the last few rounds, I feel it's important to consider the top as a whole and see if there is a color that does need to come back in to pull it all together."

Macybaby, I felt the same way about your quilt, I needed to add the lighter colors again to reflect the center and the first round as all the others were on the darker side.

CarrieM, that is how I feel sometimes also but when I look at all the quilts as a whole, I love each addition and how it just fits.

I'm working on Arura kitty today, maybe I'll have a sneak peak soon.