Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone have a Bernina 1008? >
  • Does anyone have a Bernina 1008?

• Does anyone have a Bernina 1008?

Old 06-04-2021, 05:39 PM

Unhappy Does anyone have a Bernina 1008?

I am having some moderate difficulty doing FMQ on my Bernina 1008. It's ok-ish, but no matter how I tweak the tension or what thread I use, there are some areas with sloppy stitches, typically on curves. As I look at the diagram of the machine in my manual, there is a think called the "pre-tension stud" located on the top left of the machine. From past sewing machines I've had, I think this may adjust the pressure with which the presser foot presses down on the fabric. Is that correct? If so, can I adjust that pre-tension stud in such a way that the darning foot / quilting foot will press down just a little harder on the quilt sandwich during FMQ? I think that might solve my stitch problem. I'm hesitant to fiddle with the adjustment, as I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back to its original position again when I switch back to regular straight stitching. Have any of you done this?
    Old 06-04-2021, 06:02 PM

I don't know about adjustments, but normally when you have problems on the curves of FMQ, it's because you are moving too fast or to slowly. With FMQ you are in control of the stitches, not the machine. Practice is your friend.
    Old 06-04-2021, 06:34 PM

The Bernina 1008 does not have a control for the presser foot tension. I believe the pre-tension stud is just for the upper thread tension.
    Old 06-05-2021, 03:50 AM
    Power Poster

Usually with FMQing you are using your darning or FMQ foot. I have my feed dogs down to be able to move my quilt smoothly as I stitch. There are some that leave the feed dogs up (LeahDay) she has a web site, maybe you can get some tips there. It is helpful to take a picture of your machine settings before you fiddle with them so you can return them back if it doesn’t help.
    Old 06-07-2021, 06:00 AM

I have 1008. I have not had any problems FMQ with it. I bought a generic (God For bid) foot for it from I think Quilting Parts On Line. I even bought an adapter and ruler foot also.
    Old 06-07-2021, 07:25 AM

Default any one have a bernina 1008

I have a Bernina 1008, since 1996. Wouldn't trade for anything else. I bought the fmq foot from the Bernina company. No, there is no adjustment for sewing foot tension. As others have mentioned, it all about you controlling the speed and movement of fabric. Your fmq foot should lightly skim over the fabric, not press it down as in regular sewing. Keep practicing, focusing on speed and movement of your fabric and soon you will be quilting beautiful quilts.

Last edited by sylviasmom; 06-07-2021 at 07:26 AM. Reason: correction of tense.