Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leader and Ender question >

Leader and Ender question

Leader and Ender question

Old 06-17-2021, 06:03 AM

Iceblossom.“If I used a leader, I'd have to start with a leader for the leader...”

Love this. So true!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2021, 06:32 AM

I started using leaders and enders years ago as they end the issue of thread bits all over me and the household. So. Much. Tidier.

Then I heard about keeping a basket of components of blocks machine-side and using that leader/ender slot to construct units. A revelation!! What a great way to compile tedious units into scrap quilts.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:26 PM

Bonnie Hunter's leader & ender sewing has completely ruined the way I used to sew. A group of ladies at my church make donation quilts and tie them. We bring the backing to the front & hem instead of making a separate binding. I use the material I trim off of the backing to cut 2-1/2" squares that I keep stacked beside my sewing station. Each time I stop sewing on one project, I just reach for two squares and make 2 patch blocks, then I sew the twosies together and make 4 patchs, then sew the 4 patches together until I have a 16 patch. When I have enough of those blocks, I add either triangles to all sides or sashing and before you know it, I have another quilt top made out of the scraps of previous quilts. Since adopting the leader/ender method of chain sewing I find it almost impossible to start sewing my 'old' way without feeling guilty. LOL It is very satisfying to see that little stack of squares turn into blocks/quilts with so little effort.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:00 AM

Look up Bonnie Hunter on Quiltville.com…the authority on leaders and Enders.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:08 PM

I am working on Bonnie Hunter's Blue Ridge Beauty as a leader ender project. It uses 2" blue and neutral squares sewn into 2 patches, then into 4 patches. I'll need 448 4 patches (I have over 200 completed)!!! Then the other part is 3 1/2" half square triangles sewn into squares. I keep a stack of the blue and white 2" squares in a tray along side my sewing machine, and always have one under my needle.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:17 PM

I always use a piece of scrap for a leader. I am always afraid I will not have a good solid stitch when I am sewing something together.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:00 PM

I use Bonnie's leader and ender method as a way to finish UFOs. Even if I absolutely hate something, when I'm only sewing one seam at a time it manages to finish itself without me noticing!

I am actually finishing off a quilt made with half-rectangle triangles that I did as a leader/ender while I am waiting for the backing and batting to come in for last year's grassy creek mystery quilt.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:34 PM

JeanieG that Blue Ridge Beauty is truly lovely. What a great leader/ender project!
Old 07-01-2021, 10:39 PM

I use leaders and enders all the time. My problem though is that I already have enough going on with my main project that trying to remember that I'm working on another quilt at the same time from the leaders and enders is just too confusing and it puts me into panic mode and then I forget which quilt is my main project.

So, I just fill the leaders and enders full of thread, then toss them when they get too full.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:33 PM

I found a solution for needing a leader for the leader issue: The first piece I start halfway through the piece and then set it aside. Then continue sewing/quilting for however long I choose, finishing a few leader/enders as I go. When I'm done I grab the first piece that was halfway finished and then use it to end the session, going to the last sew line.