Singer 15-91 stitch issue.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:40 PM

Default Singer 15-91 stitch issue.

Hello All,
Looking for some advice/suggestions for a temperamental Singer 15-91. I inherited the machine at a quilt guild auction when no one bid on it. The person donating the machine said she wasn't taking it home and wished to give it on to someone who has a passion for the 'old machines'.

I brought it home, immediately cleaned and oiled it then commenced to sew. Stitch issue. Closed it, put it away for ??? 2 years plus. Today, I brought it into my sewing area, gave it another oiling, fiddled with tension ad nauseam and I just cannot get a nice stitch from the machine. What haven't I done, or is the machine just a flop - which I highly doubt since the giver said her mom used it for her alterations/ sewing business.

Something about me - this isn't my first 'old machine'. I actually have owned several in the past, including some not too easily found machines. I know how to clean, oil, in some cases lube the motor. But I just cannot get this machine to stitch nicely. I desperately want to add it to my sewing machine choice for projects.

I'm listening...

Thank you.
Deb
Old 07-17-2021, 02:10 PM

Can you describe what is or is not happening with the stitches? Pictures? Or better yet both?
Old 07-17-2021, 03:17 PM

The white, heavier and starched test piece was the first. The second test piece is the blue fabric. I will upload the last test piece (limited number of uploads)

My hunch is at some point the upper thread tension dial was removed and not properly seated back on since I have been fiddling quite a bit between 5 3/4 isn to 7. At one point, there were some bobbin issues on the blue fabric but I removed and reset the bobbin thread. Seem to have helped. Although I can manage to get the bobbin thread to look half decent, the top thread is still funky.

I am giving up for the evening, but not defeated. I really would like to get this machine into the queue of machines for projects.
Will upload the two red pics shortly.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	White 1.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	504.5 KB
ID:	634569   Click image for larger version

Name:	White 11.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	713.0 KB
ID:	634570   Click image for larger version

Name:	White 111.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	639.3 KB
ID:	634571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue 1.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	634572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue 11.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	634573  

Old 07-17-2021, 03:19 PM

Default Singer 15-91 stitch issues

And finally, the last test piece
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Red.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	680.3 KB
ID:	634574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red 11.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	634575  
Old 07-17-2021, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
...My hunch is at some point the upper thread tension dial was removed and not properly seated back on since I have been fiddling quite a bit between 5 3/4 isn to 7....

You don't say which color is the bobbin thread and which color is the top thread.

Since you have a hunch, have you taken it apart, cleaned and reassembled the tension assembly? There are a couple of threads here on QB about the 15-91 tensions. This one has links that no longer work -

tension trouble singer model 15-91 but see particularly post #7.

Here is another one with pictures and the link (in post #2) should work 15-91 tension assembly question. Also read #4 as OP described what the problem was.

There are a couple videos specifically for the 15-91 and then there is the one linked to above, about older tension units, but for a different machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-rffxY_6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCcKzpeiVLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guYToL6Gegs

Also did you make sure the bobbin area was cleaned out and no thread caught. Another thing is that has been known to cause some problems is that the area under the spring may have thread caught in it or possibly a thread groove or burr on the bobbin case. I really don't think that is the problem.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 07-18-2021, 04:03 AM

You don't say which color is the bobbin thread and which color is the top thread.

Ah
, yes. The blue thread is top thread leaving the white as the bobbin. I have indeed tended and checked both the bobbin and the case. I have not taken apart the upper thread tension - will give that a shot ( I have done this multiple times on other older machines.

The photos show the improvement progression, but it just doesn't deliver a nice stitch one would expect from an older machine. I have had numerous older machines with stitch quality leaving the modern machines lacking. I'm really hoping to get the same from this one.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post

Ah
, yes. The blue thread is top thread leaving the white as the bobbin. I have indeed tended and checked both the bobbin and the case. I have not taken apart the upper thread tension - will give that a shot ( I have done this multiple times on other older machines.

The photos show the improvement progression, but it just doesn't deliver a nice stitch one would expect from an older machine. I have had numerous older machines with stitch quality leaving the modern machines lacking. I'm really hoping to get the same from this one.
I have taken to removing the bobbin case tension spring on every machine now, probably should have been all along. The tricky part is getting the bobbin tension set.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:39 PM

Are you 100% sure that you have it threaded correctly. If the thread is not over that little arm after the tension disks, then through the spring it can cause all sorts of weird issues. Others have mentioned the bobbin, but I seem to get issues with the thread not going over that little bar sometimes and it causes all sorts of messed up stitching. I would suggest setting the tension dial at between 3-4. This is the sweet spot for mine. Just a couple ideas.