Remember these

Old 07-25-2021, 06:52 AM

Our stores get so much stuff they wouldn't even bother to list something like that. Each store has a craft section, a tool section, and an office supply section. Something like that could be in any of those places, usually in a bag full of similar stuff for $4.99 or less. Postage to get it to you would be more than the item...

If you have something like Craig's List or Next Door in your area, you might see if there are any sewing supplies and look at the pictures.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Walmart has them in the sewing dept. I have an old pair in my button jug, surrounded by all his friends.

I recently bought a pair of Dritz at Walmart for someone who asked to borrow mine. I didn't want to lend her mine, they were a present years ago. I really dislike someone asking to borrow something and know I shouldn't feel that way. So it makes me feel bad two ways. Gosh darn it.
I'm the same way. I don't like to loan things out because it seems they never come back to me. I try to avoid situations where someone will ask because I feel stingy saying no, but I'm going to say yes. I need to develop something to say that's not offensive but says "No". When asked to sew for people I just say 'I've never sewn clothes for anyone but myself and don't even know where to start to fit anyone else" and let it go at that. But I have yet to come up with something for when people ask to borrow things other than to say "I don't lend my tools"
Old 07-25-2021, 08:26 AM

Gosh darn it... I was looking at this auction site I like -- really I look at it mostly for yard art stuff -- but there is this group of "sawing" supplies and I am the current high bidder. The pretty little sewing machine at the end just makes me sad... we will both be happier if it is at my house!

Anyway -- fresh in the package grommet thingy among the extras. If I am winner, I will send to you. Cheap postage but I think I still have your address even!

https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/...ore-b-3125241/
Old 07-25-2021, 08:29 AM

You can still buy them in stores.

I have a friend (a very organized one) who keeps a spreadsheet for his loaned-out tools. He tracks who has what item, when it was loaned out, and makes you sign it. I think the signing for it has kept everyone accountable and he's never lost a single thing.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
...The pretty little sewing machine at the end just makes me sad... we will both be happier if it is at my house! ...

Wow, I hope you get it. Lots of neat stuff. It looks like the machine is a VS3 (pre-model 28 hand crank - 1890s) with Ottoman Carnations decals.

Also, I had to look up besteck anlaufschutz or something like that - it looks like it is anti-tarnish cloth or something to line silverware trays.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:48 AM

Peckish-I have a friend (a very organized one) who keeps a spreadsheet for his loaned-out tools. He tracks who has what item, when it was loaned out, and makes you sign it. I think the signing for it has kept everyone accountable and he's never lost a single thing.

This is what I told my husband he should do when he couldn't find his pipe bender. Called the nephew he thought he last loaned it to. Nephew had given back...Long story short hubby put it somewhere it shouldn't have been-lol

I had thought of only one person I may have loaned it to but I'm thinking she probably has her own so I hate to ask. I haven't spoken to her in a while, so I hate to call out of the blue. Hopefully Iceblossom wins her bid or however these things are done.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:27 AM

Again, Amazon has them. The Dritz ones. Hope that works for you!
Old 07-26-2021, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Walmart has them in the sewing dept. I have an old pair in my button jug, surrounded by all his friends.

I recently bought a pair of Dritz at Walmart for someone who asked to borrow mine. I didn't want to lend her mine, they were a present years ago. I really dislike someone asking to borrow something and know I shouldn't feel that way. So it makes me feel bad two ways. Gosh darn it.
I don't like lending things either. My Mom always said never lend books or tools. For some reason you never get them back. My sister was terrible about returning things, so once when I was cat sitting for her I went through her house and found all the stuff she had borrowed and never returned and took it all back hehe.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1 View Post
...when I was cat sitting for her I went through her house and found all the stuff she had borrowed and never returned and took it all back hehe.
Does that fall under the category "there is more than one way to skin a cat"? LOL

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:09 PM

Oh that was semi-exciting -- I did indeed win the auction. My original max bid was $20, but when I was at $14 I figured it would double and I was ok with that, but wouldn't go above $30. Turned out, the other person was only willing to go to $25, so I made it under budget at $27!

So how this works now is that we will have a pick-up day with assigned times -- that will be this weekend. My stuff was in boxes but I will come with a couple of plastic crates, we follow covid protocols, all the financial stuff is done on line, so you pull up to the house, show your paperwork, grab your stuff and then head back home.

I will of course take better pictures of the little beauty Singer and ask for help from OurWorkbench and the other vintage/antique people... and yes, Toogie will get a new set of grommet pliers, maybe padded in some of the trims and such from the other boxes of stuff. I'm looking forward to digging into the thread, that looked like some of those nice net bags and such.

As Tom Petty sang, the waiting is the hardest part but I'm really excited to meet the Singer!