Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Zucchini >

Zucchini

Zucchini

Old 07-29-2021, 03:38 PM

I have an excellent zucchini, yellow squash and asparagus recipe that I got from Minimalistbaker.com. You can make it without the asparagus and its still great. https://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-zucchini-gratin/

Here are all the recipes that showed up on a search for "zucchini"
https://minimalistbaker.com/?s=zucchini
Old 07-31-2021, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Thank You Everyone!
You have all provided lots of "Food for Thought" and possibilities to inspire me.

Being that I have the muffins/loaves recipes already in hand, my first try is going to be EParys' Zucchini Pizza Casserole. Hopefully, this weekend. Two reasons, the ingredients seemed to speak to me ... who can go wrong with all that cheese? But most importantly, I have never tried a Taste of Home recipe that was not a winner.

Hope this encourages others to try something new in the zucchini world, too!
Old 07-31-2021, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Here's my all time favourite Zucchini use!
It's quite versatile ... bars, muffins or loaf.

Zucchini Bars / Muffins / Loaf
Rich, moist and flavourful.

Wet Ingredients ... In large bowl mix
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup shredded zucchini, drained

Dry Ingredients ... Mix together
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
Note ... Switch up the add-ins from the nuts and raisins, as you like. I've used: chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, dried cranberries, pecans, etc. Whatever your ♥ desires!! Most times, I use more than the one cup total!

Add dry to wet ingredients. Mix lightly. Spread batter in baking pan that has had bottom and sides greased with butter. (8" or 9" square pan or about 12 muffin cups or medium loaf pan.)

Bake at 350°F for about 25-30 minutes (depends on pan size, less time for muffins) until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely about one hour or more, then frost.

Frosting ... Mix til smooth and spreadable
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp. butter
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
3 to 4 tbsp. milk
(For me, it's plenty good enough without the frosting!!)
Old 08-02-2021, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

EParys ... WOW!! ... Your Zucchini Pizza Casserole was delicious!!!
I did as you suggested and doubled up on the eggs. Decided that if it was pizza-like, I added fresh mushrooms with the red peppers/cheese mixture. They did not disappoint! Leftovers have now been frozen in single portions, ready for lazy meal nights!

A new favourite to tackle zucchinis!
Old 08-02-2021, 10:35 AM

I also have an abundance of zucchini this year! We've found that we like zucchini "fries". Cut zucchini into wedges like pickle spears. Place in colander and salt liberally. Let sit for about 15 minutes. It's amazing how much these guy sweat!! Wipe salt and moisture off with paper towel. (No need to obsess over wiping!) Dip in egg wash and then in a mix of 2/3 panko breadcrumbs and 1/3 grated parmesan cheese. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper. Lay out zucchini with space between spears. Roast in a 425°oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Still firm, crunchy and delicious -- just the way we like them! You may want to add other seasonings/spices to the panko/cheese mix. Enjoy😋
Old 08-02-2021, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
EParys ... WOW!! ... Your Zucchini Pizza Casserole was delicious!!!
I did as you suggested and doubled up on the eggs. Decided that if it was pizza-like, I added fresh mushrooms with the red peppers/cheese mixture. They did not disappoint! Leftovers have now been frozen in single portions, ready for lazy meal nights!

A new favourite to tackle zucchinis!
I am so glad you liked it. I found it a while back when my daughter came to visit (she is gluten free). My favorite thing to serve with them is this which is also really good lol

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15...laky-biscuits/
Old 08-04-2021, 06:09 AM

We like vegetarian chili and soups. I dice zucchini, yellow squash, onion, green pepper and celery and freeze qt. bags of it to use throughout the year for adding to our chili and soups.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:18 AM

During the canning season, I make salsa, spaghetti sauce and now soup. For the sauce and soup I'll add all sorts of veggies into the pot as they will get pureed in the end so no one is the wiser what I have in the mixture. Just got a call from my hairdresser as her hubby seems to like my sauce and asked to buy some qts. I told her she could have some as long as she brings back my jars as they're getting expensive these days with more folks growing gardens. Didn't add zucchini in my pots last year but this year I'll throw in the bags I froze last year to use them up.

Next year I want to try the egg and bread crumb frying method as we just tried it using eggplant as I've got a bumper crop of them this year and they were very good.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:29 AM

Thank you Eparys: Just wanted to let you know the Zucchini Pizza Casserole was excellent!! I made as the recipe directed, but used Italian sausage and chopped up some turkey pepperoni as the meat portion. I also used Classico Pizza sauce instead of the tomato sauce (had in my pantry). Definitely going on my list of "best things to do with zucchini". Thanks for posting it.
It is a winner!!! AND I have enough zucchini to make another one to put in the freezer......LOL
Old 08-15-2021, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

We got exactly one zucchini. The critters got all the rest!!! They destroyed our garden. I think we are going to have to rethink it as it's been happening every year!
They leave the garlic and onions for us.