Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Zucchini >

Zucchini

Zucchini

Old 07-27-2021, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Default Zucchini

Zucchini ...... and now another season has started of these invasive monsters!
*sigh*

Who else has a love/hate relationship with these things?
While I do not grow them, a friend likes to share the wealth. Regularly, too!

There's only so many loaves/muffins one can make with them.
I need to find some new options. Especially for first course, would be nice.

Please share your favourite recipes.

Please? and Many Thanks!!!
Old 07-27-2021, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

Larger zucchini can be cut into 1/4 inch circles and then I dip in beaten egg, cover with bread crumbs and fry until golden and crispy. Some slice them lengthwise and use in place of noodles for lasagna but I think that would create a lot of moisture. I have a cookies recipe that calls for grated zucchini. I cut up large ones into bite size chunk and throw them in a freezer bag for the freezer. I use them to add to vegetable soup later.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:30 PM

My husband used to fry some up like Tartan said. They were so good!
Old 07-27-2021, 01:36 PM

My dad loved the breaded zucchini rounds!

For large ones, cut in half long way and scrap out the seeds. Make a stuffing, can be vegan or maybe sausage based, or even like spaghetti sauce and bake until the stuffing is cooked and the zucchini is fork tender. You might have to put just a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the pan for the last 15 minutes or so to help steam the zucchini if it is thick.

Last week I made a beef broth and then kept supplementing it with different ingredients, essentially turning it into a Pho type broth. On the last day, I cut a zucchini into rounds and cooked them along with thinly sliced steak (mushrooms also work).
Old 07-27-2021, 01:56 PM

I love zucchini and eat it several times a week usually roasted with yellow squash, mushrooms, onions etc. , fried like Tartan. I don’t make a lot of non keto items but once in a blue moon I may indulge.
https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/10-zucchini-desserts/
Old 07-27-2021, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

I've fried them like potatoes.

The first time that happened, I had "lightly scorched" them - and my family liked them better that way than steamed. They started out to be steamed - I add butter to the vegies - but most of the water had cooked off by the time I wandered back to watching them. So - they were salvaged and pronounced to be better than "just steamed".

I've also added them to chili - grated.

Last night I had some leftover rice, one lonely zucchini, added some carrots, green pepper, onion, broccoli, garlic - seasoned it with powdered ginger and soy sauce and added some scrambled eggs - awesome fried rice.

If cut up before overly seedy, they are quite good dipped in a vegetable dip and eaten as a raw vegetable.

I have also done the "breaded" ones -
Old 07-28-2021, 05:28 AM

I usually don't have much luck growing zucchini as after about a couple weeks they just rot and die on me but this year is different for whatever reason. I'm still picking zucchini as we speak. Think everyone in my neighborhood has gotten some from me plus some in my congregation. My sister tried an experiement making a zucchini casserole. She pan fried the zucchini slices first. She added Italian sausage, green peppers, mushrooms, seasonings and diced tomatoes. Put them all into a casserole dish, covered them with a packaged stuffing mix and baked. The last 15 minutes she covered the entire mixture with mozerella (spelling) cheese. Not bad for an experiement.

I usually just slice my zucchini lengthwise, then chop them up, put them on a cookie sheet to freeze before placing them in a freezer bag later in the day. I normally just make zucchini bread. I don't peel them or grate them as my mixer or food processor will chop them up more. I also will throw them in when making my squash or tomato soups as both gets pureed anyway. No one will be the wiser.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:44 AM

I love having zucchini breads in the freezer to get out in the fall when the mood strikes. Here's my mom's recipe, tried and true:Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two loaf pans. (flouring is important)

Beat 3 eggs.
Add:
2 c. sugar

½ c. milk

½ c. vegetable oil

3 t. vanilla

Combine in another bowl:

3 c. flour

1 t. salt

1 t. baking soda

¼ t. baking powder

1 T. cinnamon

½ t. nutmeg

¼ t. allspice

Grate enough zucchini to make 3 c. more or less.

Add dry ingredients alternately with zucchini to wet ingredients.

Add (or not):

¾ c. raisins

¾ c. chopped nuts or wheat germ (or both)

Fill loaf pans ¾ full and bake for about one hour. Enjoy!

Old 07-29-2021, 04:28 AM

I love zucchini and we have such poor soil here that I depend on friends and neighbors to donate their overflow lol!! So I have a few go to recipes - one is for Zucchini Relish - I have made this for almost 40 years and friends and family line up for jars

Zucchini Relish

Mix and let sit overnight – Rinse well and drain the next morning

10 C Chopped Zucchini (I do it in my food processor)
4 C Chopped Onion
5 T Table Salt

The next morning - mix together the following ingredients well in a large pot and add the rinsed and drained Zucchini and Onion Mixture

2 ½ C Vinegar
1 tsp Black Pepper
4 C Sugar
1 tsp Dry Mustard
1 Chopped Sweet Red Pepper
1 tsp Tumeric
1 Chopped Sweet Green Pepper
1 tsp Corn Starch
1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 tsp Celery Seed

Bring mixture to a Boil and Simmer for 30 minutes. Seal in hot pint jars and process for 30 min in a Water Bath Canner (with at least 1” boiling water over the lids)

My other go to is a Taste of Home Zucchini Pizza Casserole which is actually Gluten Free and depending on what you add can be low calorie and low in carbs.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...zza-casserole/

I will grate the zucchini and freeze it in ziplock baggies whan I have extras in the summer so that I can use them in this recipe in the winter. I often add one or two extra eggs to the bottom "crust" to make it thicker.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:04 PM

We really like Zucchini Hummus

Take 2-3 medium sized zucchini and slice into half inch rounds. Toss with a little olive oil and salt. Place on a pan in a single layer. (parchment paper makes cleaning up easier). Toss in a couple or three peeled garlic cloves. Roast at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Turn over and roast a bit longer, until soft and lightly browned.

In a food processor, combine zucchini, garlic, about 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste (available in most large grocery stores), juice of one lemon (about 1/4 cup) and some pepper. Process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. We like adding a dash of smoked paprika or cumin.

Store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Use as a dip with crackers and veggies, a spread for sandwiches, or just eat with a spoon.