Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning my iron >

Cleaning my iron

Cleaning my iron

Old 09-14-2021, 05:14 PM

Default Cleaning my iron

I've got a messy iron from doing applique, I was not careful enough with the double sided sticky stuff. I have tried a couple suggestions but it's still not clean, though it is much better. Is there anything that will remove all the discoloration? It still feels sticky when I use it.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:02 PM

I have used the Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner with good success, but I didn’t have adhesive on my iron. It would be worth a try.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Works wonders.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:00 PM

yes, mr cleaner magic eraser. it's a dream.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

The best product to take sticky glueness off anything is UnDu. It is what pros use to remove stuck photos from glass frames without harming the photos. I use to find it in craft stores but it's much cheaper to buy by the quart on Amazon. A quart has lasted me for four years and still have almost half the bottle left. It removes stickers or anything stuck.. If you live in CA you can't order the original and it's the best. Something has to be taken out of the original to be sold in CA. But there is another version of UnDu that can be sold in CA, it works but takes more of it. It takes off fusible from my iron like magic.

.https://www.amazon.com/Original-Form...44&sr=8-4&th=1

Un-du 32 Ounce Commercial Framing Adhesive Remover

Old 09-21-2021, 01:57 PM

Default Messy iron.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The best product to take sticky glueness off anything is UnDu. It is what pros use to remove stuck photos from glass frames without harming the photos. I use to find it in craft stores but it's much cheaper to buy by the quart on Amazon. A quart has lasted me for four years and still have almost half the bottle left. It removes stickers or anything stuck.. If you live in CA you can't order the original and it's the best. Something has to be taken out of the original to be sold in CA. But there is another version of UnDu that can be sold in CA, it works but takes more of it. It takes off fusible from my iron like magic.

.https://www.amazon.com/Original-Form...44&sr=8-4&th=1

Un-du 32 Ounce Commercial Framing Adhesive Remover

I’ve been told a fresh Bounse dryer sheet will clean your iron also.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:36 PM

Laundry dryer sheets work very well. Just heat up the iron and iron over the dryer sheet until the bottom of the iron is clean. I now keep a dryer sheet in my sewing room because you never know when you're going to have a mess.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:54 AM

Dunster- Thanks for the reminder using a magic eraser
Old 09-22-2021, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I got fusible and some Elmer's glue on my iron this morning. I tried the Bounce dryer sheet, It didn't work that great. I had a generic brand of dryer sheets too and tried that, worked the same as the Bounce, not that great. UnDu took a few seconds and all fusible and sticky gone.