Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
seams worries >

seams worries

seams worries

Old 09-28-2021, 09:44 AM

Default seams worries

Now before I start, I know seam allowances are important and I do always try.... buuuttt I am working on quilts with points. I am worried about my seams - - I know that I am not perfect and some of the points were getting nipped so I think I went narrow on my seams in some spots. (which I am sure I have done before)

my question is... what would cause the seams to give way and does the quilting help hold them in place? (long arm quilting)

I am just wondering if anyone here has had experience with this type of thing and if they think the quilting can help
Old 09-28-2021, 10:11 AM

I like my stitch length tight. On my machine I set at 1.8 but stitch lengths vary on different machines, I think anyway.
I’m often teased that I trim, just the raw edge at the very edge without taking away the width of the seam allowances, with my pinking shears. Fabrics will fray. I do this because I don’t want someone bringing a quilt back later, for me to repair, because a seam frayed out. I know this takes more time and some may think unnecessary but we all have our own ways of doing things and I learned from a young age to edge finish all seams. As they say, so far we have no quilt police, but the way this world is going, who knows.
Good luck with your quilt. I’m sure it will be fine. Relax and enjoy the story of your quilt. Every quilt has one. Have a nice day-Toogie
Old 09-28-2021, 11:40 AM

I've gotten to the point where when I am sewing something with seams, such as stars, I make the background part of the block larger, and the pointy part (ie the star) smaller, so I have a lot more space and wiggle room for points. Hope this makes sense...
Old 09-28-2021, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

I figure 1/4 inch seams are skimpy enough without making them narrower. Will heavy quilting help to secure scrimpy seams? Yes it will as it limits the movement of the top so the fabric isn’t pulled. If however the seam is too narrow, you may still get some separation.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

It also depends on the fabrics - loosely woven fabrics tend to fray more easily than more tightly woven ones.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:08 PM

I would be concerned that the smaller seam may pull loose when the quilt is washed. I like to find out the where and the why when the points get lost if possible. I have made units again if needed.

Some possible issues to check include cutting, pressing, the seam width, sewing thread, etc.

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2021, 04:00 PM

How narrow are we talking about? Personally, if there's less than 1/8"
I would redo it. I've left a few narrow seams but I made sure to go
over them when quilting. So far so good.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:00 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses and thoughts. The seams are not 1/8" or less... I was measuring. The smallest are 3/16" I am sewing on a #1 stitch I have concerns but I don't have time - or patience to redo everything. I have a long arm machine rented in 2 days.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:02 PM

Sometimes if my seam allowance is too narrow (usually my fault in cutting), I will zigzag in the seam allowance with the left side of the zigzag against the straight seam. This will keep it from fraying or pulling out of the seam.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:08 AM

I go back and reinforce the narrow part with some extra stitching next to it.