Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
seams worries >

seams worries

seams worries

Old 09-29-2021, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I know this isn't really something everyone would do, but depending on the use of a quilt, I have been known to iron on a Light weight knit interfacing onto the offending area on the back side to fortify it against fraying or coming loose at a particularly crucial point that I think will later open up and fail.
If the quilt is going to get heavy use by a child dragging it around, or a T.V. lap quilt they are going to get lots of washing and tugging. You see? This is not for any prize quilt or one that will be shown. I have quilted and sent charity donations this way. I have never heard of any mishaps.
I am not saying huge pieces, just the area that is weak.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 09-29-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Thank You RedGarnet for your great suggestion. I am going to try this. I think it will save a lot of time and aggravation.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:17 AM

I had to make some narrow seams in order to save the frame around some printed horses. I used a small stitch and if I was concerned about a seam, I did a second row of stitching. I tried to make sure I quilted that area - no gaps. It was a commissioned quilt. I have been thinking about having the young man who bought check it over when he visits his mother.
I didn't think about using some iron on interfacing. I have done that with some fabric that was a good color, but I considered to thin to use.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I usually glue baste my units that have points and then sew them. I glue baste the blocks to each other too before sewing if they don't want to cooperate. This way I have a full 1/4 inch seam.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I know this isn't really something everyone would do, but depending on the use of a quilt, I have been known to iron on a Light weight knit interfacing onto the offending area on the back side to fortify it against fraying or coming loose at a particularly crucial point that I think will later open up and fail.
If the quilt is going to get heavy use by a child dragging it around, or a T.V. lap quilt they are going to get lots of washing and tugging. You see? This is not for any prize quilt or one that will be shown. I have quilted and sent charity donations this way. I have never heard of any mishaps.
I am not saying huge pieces, just the area that is weak.
Confession here. I did a quilt top and used fleece for the backing. I sewed the front to the back to make sure it wouldn't shift. I washed it. Three of the blocks fell apart. I was mortified. My daughter had asked me to make the quilt as a gift for her friend and it was an epic fail. After licking my wounds, I took the quilt completely apart and replaced the offending blocks. I put lightweight interfacing on the entire back of the quilt. Put it back together and washed it. It worked! I think I am going to use this technique for all of my shallow seams in the future.

I think in your case better safe than sorry. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 10-03-2021, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I know many who make show quilts and they always back the quilt top with fusible interfacing.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:14 AM

The fix for getting reliable seams and seam intersections (without going to paper piecing, where intersections will be perfect) is very, very careful pinning.

If you pin with very fine quilt pins (I like Clovers EXTRA Fine Quilting Pins...you can even sew over them) on either side of your intersection, the layers will not shift as they run under the presser foot.

Note that it will take some time and practice to get your method "down", I like to push a pin through the point to be matched first, at right angles to the fabric, before I place the pins on either side of the intersection. But you will get very good at it.

A great way to refine your skill on points is to make a whack of HST's (I love using the Triangulations sheets you can print out on your printer...fast and accurate for making a ton of HST's all at once,https://www.bearpawproductions.com/s...-x54150408.htm), and then make a whole buncha pinwheel blocks. Assembling a bunch of those together gives you a great, quick way to practice points, and pinwheels work in all kinds of quilts, so no waste.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:33 PM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I wish I could have done a better job piecing, but I know that I did the best that I could with the pattern that I had.

I said a prayer and quilted this on Friday. I don't have patience to take anything apart - I would have a nervous break down. this is a big quilt. If something happens when its washed, I guess it will just be what it will be. I will be sad and I am sure I will have a fit. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I have attached a picture....after quilting Still needs to be bound and washed. I made 5 of these for Christmas, so I am on the edge of a nervous breakdown any way ha ha ha ha ha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	244390626_4384820768222145_7680447506806717855_n.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	635717  
Old 10-03-2021, 03:13 PM

Beautiful quilt!
Old 10-03-2021, 10:17 PM

Oh meyert, I love it! I would like to copy it and do Red white and blue for a quilt of valor. Beautiful!!!