Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Identifying Pattern? >

Help with Identifying Pattern?

Help with Identifying Pattern?

Old 10-10-2021, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Barbara Brackman has done an amazing amount of work, cataloging old patterns and fabrics. She has a blog and has written several books about antique quilts, patterns, blocks, etc. Might be a good place to start your research! 😉
I personally don't have Barbara Brackman's encylopedia, but others have searched it for me, and say it's not in there. I did get a lead that it was printed in the Quilter's Newsletter Magazine, but it would have had to have been a reprint of the pattern, since it was first published in 1969. I was hoping those would be archived and available online, but I haven't been able to find them online through the Univ. of Texas, where everything was donated when the magazine stopped being published. Everyone that has commented is saying they remember it as "Engagement Ring", but are unsure of where they saw it.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
I think one of the difficulties in identifying the block from historic source material is the nature of the block. While there is a block (see my markings on the photo), that is not the way the creator made the quilt. And because it was hand sewn, there is less of a bright line between pieced and appliqué. The crown makes me think that it is possible it was started in 1936 to commemorate the coronation of King Edward 8 or King George 7.
I agree that there isn't really a "block", like how I would piece a block on a machine now days. I have heard that with hand piecing, there isn't a need for a block, and the piecing can just be "continuous". I see a ring, with a blue diamond at the top, but it could kind of be a crown, if you look at the yellow only. Very interesting!!
Old 10-10-2021, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I really enjoyed that top. The fabrics and the colors are all period perfect. It doesn't come right to mind to me, but there were similar designs and this may be some degree of original.

My block reference books are currently packed in my sewing room organization. It might help the search to see what I think is the broken down block design. In some ways it helps that I started before the rotary revolution where, for the most part, all I had were black white books/newspaper columns.

I don't know if it was a deliberate thing, but if you divide it in half on the "other" diagonal axis, one end is all rounded and the other side is straight lines.

This is a rough cut, more for the visual than the actual details, but pretty close.

Edit: Of course,now that I go back to relook at the original. this was not the construction technique used... a combination of pieced and applique? All set in? Maybe the blue diamonds were added to fill in ragged edges??
I can't see the back of the top but nothing appears to be applique, at least from the front. I guess maybe the mint green diamond pieces could be sewn in later to combine everything? So many questions
Old 10-10-2021, 11:27 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I have looked online (including the Wayback Machine) for any quilt pattern without success. Etsy has many back issues of QN available, but without knowing the issue it would be very expensive. Personally, I don’t believe any published pattern was used for the quilt—it is constructed in a way that would put off the vast majority of quilters. It can be broken into blocks (blocks + sashing works even better) but it was not made that way.

i think it is a unique quilt made by a dauntingly original thinker. Name it anything you want!
Old 10-10-2021, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
I have looked online (including the Wayback Machine) for any quilt pattern without success. Etsy has many back issues of QN available, but without knowing the issue it would be very expensive. Personally, I don’t believe any published pattern was used for the quilt—it is constructed in a way that would put off the vast majority of quilters. It can be broken into blocks (blocks + sashing works even better) but it was not made that way.

i think it is a unique quilt made by a dauntingly original thinker. Name it anything you want!
I agree that it very well could have been made continuously as the quilter wanted without published pattern. Quilters used to work that way often. Many were working in isolation with little contact with other quilters besides the few who lived near them. There also used to be patterns in the local newspapers. I'm not sure any of those were ever published anywhere else.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I agree that it very well could have been made continuously as the quilter wanted without published pattern. Quilters used to work that way often. Many were working in isolation with little contact with other quilters besides the few who lived near them. There also used to be patterns in the local newspapers. I'm not sure any of those were ever published anywhere else.
I didn't really think about it being the maker's own pattern. How cool would that be?? Just the thought of that blows my mind, because it does seem so complex.