Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you decide if fabric is "quality" (good enough for your quilt)?? >

How do you decide if fabric is "quality" (good enough for your quilt)??

How do you decide if fabric is "quality" (good enough for your quilt)??

Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Administrator

i have said it before and i will say it again and again and again and again. price is absolutely, positively, unequivocally NOT a reliable indicator of quality.

shop carefully. if you see a fabric you like, check several online sources before deciding where to buy it. you will be amazed to see how much the prices will vary between sources for the same fabrics - by as much as $4 or $5 per yard!

use what you like and can afford. be willing to experiment. keep a journal to remind yourself which brands of fabrics you've liked and disliked. have a section for shops, too - both in-person and online.

i'm fond of Red Rooster, Moda, Wilmington and Windham. there are other good brands, too. those just happen to be my current favorites. there are also a few Walmart fabs i really enjoy working with.

over time you will develop your own personal preference for particular brands. you will also learn what to avoid.

it's a process. ignore the Quilt Police, go forth and enjoy, Grasshopper. ;-)
Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM

NCfleur, When I took my first Color Class, 10 years ago, the teacher told me that Walmart and Joanne's had similar quality
of fabric, then Hobby Lobby, then LQS fabric. It depends upon
the quilt that you are making. If it's for a donation to a Charity, I'd used fabric from Joanne's and Walmart. If it is for a special person I will buy at my local LQS.
If you are making a heirloom quilt and are having it quilted by a Long arm quilter, I would definitely use LQS fabric.
I have bought from Walmart, Joanne's and LQS, plus Keepsake
quilting. I hope this helps in your decision making. Eiltcoq.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:01 PM

Flower sack fabric was fairly good as it had to be a fairly close woven as it had to hold in quite fine ground flour.
just my thought but it.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl222
I sat and read all of these wonderful comments, and I guess I am not a purist. I use anything I can get my hands on, even (horror of horrors) not 100% cotton. Using old clothes gives me a sense of thriftiness and some of my favorite quilts have a WIDE assortment of types of fabrics. I have found after they are quilted, then washed, all of the fabrics seem to just go together. The blends get just as soft as the cottons, and as a matter of fact they don't "age" as much (whitening of the fabric). I guess I am lucky because no quilt police live by me!!!!
I am SO GLAD to see that someone else out there is like me! I love to use whatever I find around - scraps for any number of places, and any number of fiber contents. I go to the thrift shops also to pick up fabrics or gently used clothes. My quilts may not be the ones chosen by the judges, but that is not why I create my quilts! And not every quilt has to be an "heirloom" quilt.

I do think it's important to have a consideration for who will use the quilt and for what. The all-cotton quilters have a point on that since it is such a wonderful fabric. It's hard to beat for an all purpose quilting fabric and it's a known quantity and lasts well.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 AM

My first quilt was made with fabric I bought at Jo-Ann's, that was probably 6-7 years ago and it is still on our bed and only slightly faded....
Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 AM

About 30 years ago I made a quilt for my first GS. I had bought some new calicoes plus I had some pieces of clothing to fill in. The calico on the back is like new, but some yellow calico in the quilt has come apart. The same with the clothing in the quilt, some is still in good condition, some have come apart.
When I made this quilt, I couldn't afford all new fabrics, but it was bright and colorful for years. It has been repaired a few times, but short of replacing some of the pieces it has held up o.k.
I have learned so much about fabric and sewing since then. I still mix old and new fabrics in some quilts. I am laying one out now that is all from used clothing and is cotton polyester blend. I find they hold up well in quilts...
Don't be afraid to experiment. That is half the fun to me!!
Welcome to the wonderful world of sewing and quilts!!!

Ditter
Old 03-05-2010, 02:36 PM

I like the good quality fabric from the biggie mfgs (Kaufman, Hoffman, Moda, etc.) that you find in your local quilt fabric shops BUT I don't like the prices so I go on line and get the good stuff for really cheap. I don't have to have this season's line of fabrics. I just want something I think is pretty and will fit the style of the quilt. Try marshalldrygoods.com. for great prices. Also Connecting Threads make a very nice quality fabric (bought some and was impressed) and when it goes on sale it's usually half price of their regular $5.96 per yard price! That becomes cheaper than Wally World. :thumbup:
Old 03-06-2010, 09:39 AM

Wow! that's great information. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by eiltcoq
NCfleur, When I took my first Color Class, 10 years ago, the teacher told me that Walmart and Joanne's had similar quality
of fabric, then Hobby Lobby, then LQS fabric. It depends upon
the quilt that you are making. If it's for a donation to a Charity, I'd used fabric from Joanne's and Walmart. If it is for a special person I will buy at my local LQS.
If you are making a heirloom quilt and are having it quilted by a Long arm quilter, I would definitely use LQS fabric.
I have bought from Walmart, Joanne's and LQS, plus Keepsake
quilting. I hope this helps in your decision making. Eiltcoq.
That makes sense and is very help. thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by medots
Flower sack fabric was fairly good as it had to be a fairly close woven as it had to hold in quite fine ground flour.
just my thought but it.
good thought! makes complete sense to me.