Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight Stitch Satin Binding? >

Straight Stitch Satin Binding?

Straight Stitch Satin Binding?

Old 10-16-2021, 03:52 PM

Default Straight Stitch Satin Binding?

Looking for tips on sewing on a satin binding using a straight stitch. (I don't have a machine that can do zig-zag at this time.) Much appreciated!
Old 10-16-2021, 04:02 PM

In the past before I realized that all the bindings needed to have more than a single seam holding them on, I have used the pre-made satin binding and finished a blanket off with it by just inserting the edges of the blanket into the binding and sewing it on. I always used a straight stitch.

I thought I would let the experts give us their opinion. I went to the Youtube website and searched for Sewing a satin binding on a quilt. These were a couple of the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5T2N6cEQvM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6u3tbcXBgY
Old 10-16-2021, 04:59 PM

Thanks, but both those videos use a zig-zag. I tried doing it that way with the straight stitch and it didn't come out as nice as one would hope for in a gift.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:20 PM

Have you considered sewing it on like any regular quilt binding? In retrospect, trying to sew that satin binding on by hand might be very interesting. I h.a.t.e how satin moves and slides. Years ago, one of my daughters insisted on a satin dress for a school dance. That fabric made me crazy! Would your quilt lend itself to having something like giant rick-rack or a playful thin binding as an applique over your stitching? There are some cute thin laces that could be sewn to cover your original stitching. Wouldn't really work for a boy.

Another thought..... What if you deliberately ruffle it?
Old 10-16-2021, 06:36 PM

I have been considering doing the regular quilt style binding with the satin and stitching it outright again instead if hand stitching the back. If anyone has thoughts or expertise on this, I'm very open.

Satin slipping is next to none when it comes to frustrations! I am making a double sided minky blanket upon my sons request... ONLY for love with then one... and NEVER again (for now).
Old 10-17-2021, 12:07 AM
Gay

Try starching your satin, will help with slipping. I have just sewed to the front or back first then straight stitched the other side.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:44 AM

The quilt that I used satin to applique had to be repaired many times until there was no satin left.
I folded the minky backside towards the front for a 1-2" wide binding on these quilts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kenedys t shirts.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	636003   Click image for larger version

Name:	preslie sr.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	636004  
Old 10-20-2021, 11:16 AM

Just thinking...what if you use a "very" lighweight fusible interfacing on the back of the Satin? This would make it more durable and easier to sew.

This handy-dandy chart has good info on the types of Pellon interfacing.
https://www.joann.com/on/demandware....acingGuide.pdf

Old 10-21-2021, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Just thinking...what if you use a "very" lighweight fusible interfacing on the back of the Satin? This would make it more durable and easier to sew.

This handy-dandy chart has good info on the types of Pellon interfacing.
https://www.joann.com/on/demandware....acingGuide.pdf
That's an idea, Barb. The Pellon Easy Knit or Sheer Knit would probably work. I wouldn't use any interfacing that wasn't woven (some Pellon isn't). I used to do a lot of garment construction and used the non woven Pellon. It would tend to fall apart if washed a lot.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:07 PM

Have you thought about maybe using a spray adhesive to hold it in place while you are sewing it down?