Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tip of the day >

tip of the day

tip of the day

Old 10-23-2021, 06:17 PM

I have my iron and an floor lamp plugged into a power strip on the wall. I turn them on the off with the power strip. That way if the light is on, so is the iron. I can tell whether or not I've left it on without even going in the room. I've done this for years. Works well for me.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:36 AM
Banned

For some strange reason, every outlet in my sewing room is connected to the light switch by the door. (Except for one, so I think it was just all wired wrong.) Even though I have a auto shut off iron, the power is shut off when I flip the wall switch.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:15 AM

I have a small wicker basket with some paper piecing patterns in it and I set that on the floor in the door way when I have the iron on.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I do not have an iron that turns itself off. I don't want one either as I want it ready to use when I'm piecing. But occasionally I forget to turn it off/unplug it and that scares me, especially if I'm leaving the house. I've taken to the idea of putting a chair in front of the door when I plug the iron in. It's a good reminder to not leave without unplugging the iron.
I like this idea! This is the kind of thing I do. I have been known to turn around from a mile down the street to go back and make sure the stove and iron are off, and the back door is locked. They always are, lol.
ETA - I used to have an auto shut-off iron but I never trusted it. Always unplugged it.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:31 AM

I like my auto-shut off iron. It doesn't take long to warm up. No worries.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:02 AM
bj

I do the power strip plan. Mine has a light in the switch of the power strip that’s very visible when it’s on. And it’s right by the door. I'm also a creature of habit. When I leave the room, I always glance over to see if the switch is on or off.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:12 AM

I plug my machine and iron into a power strip. I put duct tape over the machines on/off strip then to turn off my machine I must turn off the power strip. It works since I turn off my machine when not sewing.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by barbaraodle47 View Post
Another idea is to plug your iron into a power strip that also has a light plugged into it. When you turn the power strip on, the light and iron both come on. When you are done, turn the power strip off, light turns off and so does the iron. If you see the light on when passing your sewing/crafts room/area, you will know your iron is still on.
This is what I do, so far never left the light on so iron is not on either.

Iron turns off but on takes a few seconds for it to warm up when I am using it.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:45 AM

As barbaraodle47, Patrice and others have suggested, I too use the power strip method as a reminder. The lights on my sewing table and indeed my sewing machine are on that power strip. I have to turn the power strip off to turn off the lights, hence then if the primary lighting for the sewing center are off then so too is the iron. Works for me.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 10-25-2021 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Needed to add members name
Old 10-25-2021, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by barbaraodle47 View Post
Another idea is to plug your iron into a power strip that also has a light plugged into it. When you turn the power strip on, the light and iron both come on. When you are done, turn the power strip off, light turns off and so does the iron. If you see the light on when passing your sewing/crafts room/area, you will know your iron is still on.
That is how my iron is set up, with the lamp at the ironing board to see better while using the iron. When I finish, the power strip is turned off and all is safe.