Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I wish they'd make a home sewing machine-- >

I wish they'd make a home sewing machine--

I wish they'd make a home sewing machine--

Old 03-06-2010, 11:52 AM

How about feed dogs that are a little closer together so when you sew a scant 1/4" it does not drag the fabric off to one side.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
My wishes for a standard sewing machine: Needle up or down feature, a bigger bobbin for sure as well as a loud beeper when the bobbin has a yard of thread left on it, a larger throat- about a foot would be nice, speed control for fmq, bobbin winding without unthreading the machine. I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's it for now.
Try filling extra bobbins before you start. I just bought extra bobbins today. Also if your machine has a place to put a second spool of thread (for sewing with a twin needle), you might try using yhat to hold a spool of thread to fill a bobbin from.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:04 PM

Fireworksolver,

Guess what??? Your dream machine is almost existing. I have the Viking Sapphire 870 and it: has bobbin warning, needle up and down, bobbin threading withour removing the thread..It is wonderful and halso has the speed control butto., presser foot down when you press on the peddle, sews without touching the peddle with the touch of a button, and on, and on, and on...
Old 03-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Regular sewing machine with a lot larger opening so we can quilt bigger quilts without so much rolling, folding and praying it comes out ok. I can't afford a long arm - yet.
The new Bernina has more space on the arm for quilting larger quilts and has a larger bobbin. Of course, you pay more for these little extras!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by Ellis' Granny B
Fireworksolver,

Guess what??? Your dream machine is almost existing. I have the Viking Sapphire 870 and it: has bobbin warning, needle up and down, bobbin threading withour removing the thread..It is wonderful and halso has the speed control butto., presser foot down when you press on the peddle, sews without touching the peddle with the touch of a button, and on, and on, and on...
Would you mind my asking what you paid for it?

8-)
Old 03-06-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ellis' Granny B
Fireworksolver,

What does the speed control button really do?
I'm starting the search to buy a new sewing machine, that will work well for fmq too. At this point it's between the Viking Sapphire (with the wide throat), the Bernina 440 and possibly a Janome. Anyone have any suggestions from their experience?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Bev

I have two Janomes and really, really love them. BUT as I said before in this thread, my latest one has a very dim bulb which they think is an improvement over the others because it doesn't glare. I'm getting to the age where I need brighter instead of dimmer, so I had to purchase a sweet little light from Amazon.com and clamp it next to my machine. Problem solved. However I think it's real dumb of them to mess with the light bulbs when the one they had before on all their models was perfect.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:23 PM

Floodlights :D
Old 03-06-2010, 02:38 PM

too funny!
Old 03-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Yes, the new babylock does have a terrific light on it. Go to their web site: Babylock.com