Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
1921 Singer 66 Bobbin roller issue >

1921 Singer 66 Bobbin roller issue

1921 Singer 66 Bobbin roller issue

Old 11-08-2021, 06:18 PM

My easy to get-to treadle has a larger belt, but does work. I know the instructions for installing treadle belts say not too tight and not loose enough to slip. The instructions at https://www.treadleon.net/sewingmach...eadlebelt.html tell about stretching the belt before installing at the bottom of the page. There are other pdf instructions which can be gotten at https://web.archive.org/web/20171030...ter-P60013.htm You will have to left click on the link
HOW TO INSTALL A TREADLE BELT
It will not work if you right click to " Save link as " The instructions to stretch the belt are #3 of those instructions.

I am also having trouble getting that screw back out of the knob to get the hand wheel off. I have had that screw undone multiple times. This is the 2nd time I cannot get it unscrewed again. My husband got it off for me the the last time.
It really should be fairly easy to unscrew the little screw in the knob, as well as the knob should be easy to screw opposite the hand wheel. I wonder if the screw is or was cross threaded.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 11-09-2021, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
My easy to get-to treadle has a larger belt, but does work. I know the instructions for installing treadle belts say not too tight and not loose enough to slip. The instructions at https://www.treadleon.net/sewingmach...eadlebelt.html tell about stretching the belt before installing at the bottom of the page. There are other pdf instructions which can be gotten at https://web.archive.org/web/20171030...ter-P60013.htm You will have to left click on the link It will not work if you right click to " Save link as " The instructions to stretch the belt are #3 of those instructions.

It really should be fairly easy to unscrew the little screw in the knob, as well as the knob should be easy to screw opposite the hand wheel. I wonder if the screw is or was cross threaded.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
I did shorten the belt slightly (about 1/4"). I didn't stretch. I will read from your links. Perhaps my stretching already happened with the initial install. It did seem like it felt better, the operation of the pedal. But that was at the end of my night, so I didn't have extended time testing this out.

I figured out my issue with the screw. I need to loosen the knob, I think it is, as though to wind a bobbin. Then it unscrews easily.

I did take the bobbin assembly off and disassembled the gear disk that rotates against the worm on the bobbin winder to turn the bobbin. I had a dilly of a time getting it adjusted and the nut tightened on. I would get it adjusted to where it needed to be on the front, then try to hold the screw in place while tightening the nut on the back (on the eccentric screw). Somehow I would end up over tightening, or somehow just nudging that screw slightly, and it would be too tight or too lose (the disk against the worm). I think I finally got it adjusted right. I can again at least wind a bobbin by manually turning the hand wheel. It still wasn't working by treadle, but the belt seemed to be turning for the most part. I was tired, so walked away - but I believe I just need to adjust the screw that is just forward of where you attach the winding assembly to the machine - I think the bobbin tire is to tight against the machine when engaged. Hopefully that is what it is. I feel like I am so close!!
Old 11-09-2021, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
...I figured out my issue with the screw. I need to loosen the knob, I think it is, as though to wind a bobbin. Then it unscrews easily.

... I feel like I am so close!!
Good tip about releasing the knob before unscrewing the little screw -I didn't remember that.
It sure sounds like you are getting close.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:55 AM

It sure sounds like you are getting close.

Well, I removed the hand wheel and cleaned (back of the hand wheel and around the shaft). There was actually quite a bit of dried oil and dirt on the back of the hand wheel. I also had to again re-adjust the disk/cam on the bobbin assembly as the nut had come loose. Put it all back together. I was tickled pink that the bobbin winder worked! It even popped up at the end of filling the bobbin. It is pedaling smoother also. I now need to spend time un-threaded, so that I better understand syncing the pedal movement with the rotation so that I don't go backwards (which happens easier now that everything is clean).
Old 11-10-2021, 08:03 AM

Isn't it nice to have a smooth running machine and have all that dried old gunk out of there.

Did you have to adjust the bobbin winder any?

Old 11-10-2021, 08:50 AM

Isn't it nice to have a smooth running machine and have all that dried old gunk out of there.

Did you have to adjust the bobbin winder any?

I just love this machine, yes - so nice when it is clean and running smoothly! Yes, I did have to adjust the bobbin winder. On my machine, it needs to be at the top of the slot (the screw that is just above where the bobbin assembly attaches to the hand wheel). There were several adjustments along the way to getting to that point. One of the springs needed to be in a different hole on one piece, I think it is called the bobbin follower, it is the part that pops on and off the front of the machine when you engage and disengage the bobbin. I definitely had to adjust the disk/cam that is on the eccentric screw. I think I about squealed with joy when it worked!!